• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Abbey National & Lowells & statute barred debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abbey National & Lowells & statute barred debt

I don't believe it! I received a letter today from Lowells regarding a "debt" with Abbey.

I closed my account with Abbey about 8 years ago. A few weeks later I received a letter saying I owed them £14 for M&S card protection (this is the old days when I did such things). I refused to pay saying that I had closed the account and that they shouldn't have paid M&S. They added charges and letter fees and the last I heard the debt was at about £35.

Now Lowells say they want £64.55 - that Abbey sold them my account at the beginning of November.

A weird thing is that when I started getting seriously into debt and my Lloyds account was unusable I thought I would try to revive my Abbey account by paying off the £35. I went into a branch with a very fleabitten chequebook and they told me my account didn't exist any more and to clear off more or less.

Anyway should I use this letter? or should I just ignore them. I have changed the letter very slightly - but am very wary of entering into any communication just in case it is seen as an acknowledgement.

Thanks to Curly Ben for the template!

Dear Sir/Madam

Ref: Your Reference

You have contacted us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by ourselves.

We would point out that under the Limitation Act 1980 Section 5 “an action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued.”

We would also point out that the OFT say under their Debt Collection Guidance on statute barred debt that “it is unfair to pursue the debt if the debtor has heard nothing from the creditor during the relevant limitation period”.

The last payment communication regarding this alleged debt was made over six years ago and no further acknowledgement or payment has been made since that time. Unless you can provide evidence of payment or written contact from us in the relevant period under Section 5 of the Limitation Act, we suggest that you are no longer able to take any court action against us to recover the alleged amount claimed.

The OFT Debt Collection Guidance states further that “continuing to press for payment after a debtor has stated that they will not be paying a debt because it is statute barred could amount to harassment contrary to section 40 (1) of the Administration of Justice Act 1970”.

We await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed and that no further contact will be made concerning the above account after that last letter.

We look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

Re: Abbey National & Lowells & statute barred debt

Oh how I love Lowells

Nice opener, but I'm bound to say that aren't I

You could, of course, try a simple Prove It, first

Dear Sir/Madam

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am/we are familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

I/we look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully
    Last edited by Curlyben; 15th December 2008, 18:46:PM. Reason: cos I can ;)

Comment

oh yes that would be a brilliant letter to send thanks ! :candycane:

Comment

Lowells specia.ise in buying old debts in the hope that they surprise and intimidate people into paying up.

Send the template and tell them to sod off.if that fails asl for the CCA. Abbey destroyed allthe old ones.

I wrote off 10K pounds with Abbey/lowells as theymloswt the CCA.

Lowells are bunch of chancers.Dont give in.
        Thanks!

Debtisbad

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X