• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Major benefit cockup.....Help needed!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major benefit cockup.....Help needed!!

In April 2007 I contacted the Incapacity benefit office and gave them my new account details for my parachute account.
    They couldn't set up the new D/D straight away so they sent a giro instead. They told me they would set it up for the next payment date.
    I then won back my charges from natwest and put the cheque in the parachute account in June. I suddenly noticed that my benefit payments had not gone into any of my accounts.
    I called the DWP and was told they had forgotten to set up my D/D or send any giro's...
    They appologised and i told them that I had incurred charges due to their mistake...
    Can I make them pay my charges??
    Can I charge them for the bank charges and charges from the companies that also charged me??
    If so....what do I put in the letter??
    Any idea's??
    Russ
    Last edited by veilside01702; 26th July 2007, 04:10:AM.

Sorry you cant charge them as its up to you to check what goes into your account and when
    You can only claim back from the bank what you were charged

Comment

Hi Russ

If it was a Direct Debit that was set up you may be covered by the Direct Debit Guarantee . Other than that I would write a stern letter to the benefits payment department that was dealing with it outlining exactly what has happened , trying to get them to refund it over the phone is no substitute for a good old letter.
      Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

The DWP will pay your bank charges - I was reading a few articles about this the other day. (which I'll grab in a bit for you)

And yes definately do it all by letter too.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks amethyst, tools and cillitbanger...
          I called the DWP and got a big appology from a nice girl there who admitted again it was their mistake and said send in proof of charges and they will look into sorting it out!
          Apparently because they sent one cheque to me the system freezes the direct payment to my New parachute account with HSBC...
          I was told someone should have been monitoring the claim and restarted it in April-May....They forgot.....she said it happens and they are sorry for any inconvenience caused...I just said I know it wasn't her fault and appreciated her help.....she was very polite and helpful....
          I think she told me more than she should have done....lol
          So now i gotta do a letter and copy statements from Natwest and HSBC as both have added charges, as well as elec, water, gas, phone, etc.....who all charged me as banks bounced the D/D's....must be about £700....
          Strangley HSBC were nice and agreed to waive further charges as it was a mistake....all it took was letter from DWP and HSBC helped...Good manager in branch....lol
          I still would like to see amethysts articles as well if you could....please.....

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X