• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Work mobiles

Collapse
This thread is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work mobiles

At my work some of us have work mobile phones.
    These can be checked (randomly) to make sure they are not being abused. We are curious about text messages.
    I am guessing that any messages sent by a work phone can be checked for it's content, but what about those recieved from a non work phone?
    Also can stored messages be checked?
    Thanks,
    Sally xx
    P1ss on me if you like, but don't try and tell me it's rain!
    life is all the more precious when we remember it is a terminal state.

If you need any help with addiction please feel free to PM or email me. I will help all I can
    Please don't drink and drive

25th Aug SAR request ~11th Sep 1/2 back ~ 23rd Oct all back ~ 29th Oct prelim request ~ 11th Nov LBA ~ 20th Nov "Don't Be Silly" letter ~ 25th Nov I won!

Re: Work mobiles

Same laws apply to Company mobiles as other technology equipment, like computers.
    They belong to the company, so the company has the last say on them.

Your company;s IT policy should cover this.

Comment

CB I don't mean legally, I mean is it possible for messages recieved by a work mobile phone to be checked the same way as they can when they are sent? No idea how they do it, but I know it can be done without needing the actual phone,
      Sally xx

If you need any help with addiction please feel free to PM or email me. I will help all I can

25th Aug SAR request ~11th Sep 1/2 back ~ 23rd Oct all back ~ 29th Oct prelim request ~ 11th Nov LBA ~ 20th Nov "Don't Be Silly" letter ~ 25th Nov I won!

Comment

Now I sort of understand what you mean.
        Txt messages cannot be checked without the phone as they are encrypted in transmission.
        YOU cannot be held responsible for the messages you receive, within reason.

Comment

I thought they could - our work say they can, so they can check they're not being used for non work stuff. Are they lying to us?
          Sally xx

Comment

Are they O2 by any chance, because I know on O2 you can register online with 'Bluebook' which saves all your sent and received messages [I'm signed up to it which is how I know], and if work have done that, then yes they could read actual incoming and outgoing messages.

PJ xXx

Comment

You can also get an idea from the bills, which itemise all numbers sent to and received from. Our company is with Orange, and although we can't actually read the messages sent or received without the actual phone, by checking the numbers, i.e shortcodes such as 89999 which cost 1.50 each, its pretty obvious that they are not work related. As one of our engineers found to his cost only yesterday when the company mobile bill shot up by over £200 for one month. He has got to pay it back.
              Is no longer here

Comment

We get a bill every quarter, which we are supposed to go through and pay for personal calls/texts. Because we were ever sure what they could and couldn't check, the majority of us never use the work mobile for personal stuff. A coule of colleagues use it as their only phone and get calls when on leave etc. At least by keeping it on only during work hours it can be turned off at the end of the day.

Comment

This is getting a little confusing ..........
                  If I get a saucy message on my Orange work mobile sent from someone using their non work phone, then delete it, is there any way anyone else can know what it said?
                  Sally xx

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X