• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

PKea v New Charter - Fence Repairs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PKea v New Charter - Fence Repairs

Ok this isnt major issue as such, but more of a Council flexing its muscles argument.

Basically, I own my property
    Next door is owned by New Charter Housing Trust (what used to be council property)

There is a fence panel and post missing between our houses in the rear garden.
    This is due to football damage and the winds/weather.

Basically this was due to some dodgy company doing them on behalf of neighbour at her expense, no involvement from us whatsoever, so much as we first knew about it when they appeared.

It is a party fence and we are jointly liable for repairs upkeep etc, and it was something on my list to do.

Yesterday we got a letter from New Charter stating that they had done a property inspection and that the fence need repairing and as we are jointly liable we need to pay half. Not a problem except that I could have the full boundary of my house fenced for the cost they have quoted.

The letter is written as we have to agree with then, and that they may consider any other quotatons we can get but they must be approved tradesmen.

I will scan letter and post it when I get home

Re: PKea v New Charter - Fence Repairs

Letter received from New Charter

Last edited by Paule; 21st November 2008, 17:59:PM.

Comment

This is my first draft of a faxed response to them, I'm also using my LB email address for correspondance too.

This will prob make more sense once youve read theie letter, but feel free to comment in the meantime

Dear Mrs Mills

I write in response to your letter regarding fencing repairs @ 71 xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Before I can agree to any repairs, I require a copy of your quotation, broke down into material and labour elements as this figure seems excessive.
      I would also like you to provide more than 2 estimates for the works,as I‘m sure it is also your corporate policy not to obtain work based on only one estimate.

From a cursory glance in the local paper you can get 31ft of fencing for £250, and also buy the materials alone, for the work you have mentioned, for approx £40.

So I therefore await your full breakdown of the quotation you have obtained, along with references of the company who have provided the quotation so I can check whether they are suitably qualified.

I would also like to bring your attention to the fact that the dividing fence at the front of the property also needs replacing, so can you factor that into your revised quotations.

I look forward to the reciept of these itemised quotations, along with the references, for my consideration so that this matter can be progressed in due course.

I also believe that the reason for the fence damage is due to the occupants at no 71 using a contractor to replace the fences who was not suitably qualified. These repairs were done without our consent and for this reason I cannot initially agree to fund repairs that could have been avoided, if a suitable company had done these intial repairs in the first place. These repairs along with sustained impact damage from footballs and the like from no 71, I believe, have led to this event. I look forward to your report into this matter also.

Please ensure any correspondance regarding this matter is in writing, as such matters will not be dealt with verbally. You contact me via email, fax, or letter using the details at the bottom of the page.

Comment

Shoddy previous repairs will be irrelevant in this case.

You will be liable for 50% of costs of replacement.

They should provide you with 3 written quotations for the work.

31ft of fencing was a pretty standard item we used to provide in landscaping.

If its just post and panel then it should be around £30-40 per metre. £3-400

Make sure they are quoting for concrete posts or 4" timber.

If its arris rail and boards then the cost would rise to £40-50 per metre.

Also make sure the work is guaranteed for 3 years.

As they are a housing association, all contractors should be CHAS registered and also registered for VAT.
        "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Originally posted by Celestine View Post
          Shoddy previous repairs will be irrelevant in this case.
          This will be a pre cursor to a subsequent arguement, if I do the work myself

You will be liable for 50% of costs of replacement.
          I understand and admit this

They should provide you with 3 written quotations for the work.
          Which is what I expect from them

31ft of fencing was a pretty standard item we used to provide in landscaping.
          If its just post and panel then it should be around £30-40 per metre. £3-400
          The work is actually 1no 6ft & 1no 3ft panel and a concrete post, they quote at £240.

All contractors should be CHAS registered
          What is this?
          The bit about the last repair was put in on the basis that i will repair this myself with my Father in Law (a insurance company approved builder) for the price of 2 panels (about £35).
          So that if they disagree with me doing the works, I will request that all the fencing needs to replaced on the same basis.

Comment

Letter added now

Comment

I sent the fax yesterday, minus the damage/ previous repairs part.

Will wait and see what response i get

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X