• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Virgin Media 2 - The Incompetence Continues (in fact, it never really ceased)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virgin Media 2 - The Incompetence Continues (in fact, it never really ceased)

Following the lessons of this thread Virgin Media - Legal Beagles (Thank you Amy) I sent an email to Neil Berkett due to the issues my mother-in-law has been experiencing. I cancelled all services with Virgin Media last year after losing patience with their breathtaking incompetence, but for some reason, she is unwilling to do that - probably because she thinks I will continue to deal with them.

I won't - the next time this happens, she is on her own.

Dear Mr Berkett

“We want to make things easy for our customers. Not just by cutting through the jargon and explaining our technology in simple terms. No, we want to make it easy for them to contact us, to get hold of our products and services, and to sort out their problems too. And it’s our Customer Care, telephone support and sales teams that do just that.”

I wonder, have you ever actually tried calling Customer Services? They do not do as it states above. Take Craig for example, with whom I had the miserable experience of a conversation earlier today. Apparently, he is the most senior person with the Virgin Media group who customers are able to speak with, yet he utterly failed to offer any kind of customer care whatsoever. He was rude, impertinent and hostile.

I am contacting you because my mother-in-law still has an account with your company. Several months ago, she made some changes to her account in order to remove the broadband service that was no longer being used, since the relatives staying with her had moved out. She now lives alone and does not possess a PC and therefore had no further need for it. She contacted “Customer Services” and was told that she needed a new account because her husband had died – something that had in fact happened in early 2006. Being elderly and easily confused – and not to mention unable to understand the accent of the person on the other end of the telephone - she finished that telephone call the proud owner of a new account and an XL TV package – neither of which she wanted or had asked for.

When she began to receive much larger than normal bills, I offered to help and several times I telephoned your foreign call centres – none of the operators could resolve the issue and on each occasion I was promised a call back.

I have never once received a telephone call.

Then, her set-top box malfunctioned and an engineer visit was booked.

The engineer never turned up, despite the dire warnings given to her about the fact that she needed to make certain that she was present when the engineer was due to call.

Two or three times now, her services have been restricted – indeed, right now she is unable to make any telephone calls, despite the bill having been paid in full. Notwithstanding that the bills were incorrect due solely to the incompetence and greed of an opportunistic call-centre worker more interested in selling upgrades than actually dealing with the issues that were requested at the time.

I am sick and tired of dealing with your company, for the avoidance of doubt, I am not a Virgin customer any longer and, due to my experiences as a Virgin Media customer in the past, I will never knowingly purchase anything from any company within the Virgin group again – ever. My encounter today has further cemented my resolve that I have made the right decision. However, for whatever reason my mother in law would prefer to remain a customer of yours, despite my advice that she ought to cancel her contract and move to Sky and BT.

Given that she wishes to remain loyal, the bill is paid in full and now, thanks to the intervention of Phil Lamb from your customer billing team, the bills should now be correct, why can she not make any telephone calls and precisely how does the opening paragraph of this message relate in any way to either her or my dealings with your company?

I look forward to hearing from you – if you, or an assistant would like to speak with me directly, I can be contacted on xxxxx xxxxxx.

Regards

Within a few moments of sending this, I got a reply - although, knowing Virgin Media, I rather suspect that this will turn out to be merely a triumph of hope over experience.

Re: Virgin Media 2 - The Incompetence Continues (in fact, it never really ceased)

If June is still in the Executive Offices, she'll sort you out in no time. She's a love.

Comment

Re: Virgin Media 2 - The Incompetence Continues (in fact, it never really ceased)

Around an hour ago I received a telephone call from the Executive Office at Virgin Media. I spoke with Dorothy Brennan and I am pleased to say that the issues are now resolved. The telephone line in question is working again, the account is properly configured with the correct services charged at the correct rates. I have been offered and accepted, on behalf of my mother in law, a months services free of charge.

Ms Brennan was efficient, polite and apologetic and further has agreed to telephone my mother in law tomorrow to ensure that she is happy and to apologise personally.

This is not ever going to make me buy from them again, but it does show that they appear to be listening and learning and I was thanked for bringing this to their attention in order that they could fix it.

Now if they would only promote Dorothy Brennan to Head of Customer Services, instead of hiding her away in the Executive Office, maybe everyone who has a problem would be treated in this way. I suppose it comes down to cost, many customers simply accept poor service and as a result, Virgin Media (and they are by no means alone in this) believe they have our tacit approval to continue delivering it. However, my experience today shows that they do care and they can sort problems out and for that they deserve my thanks.

Comment

Excellent! Although I can't say I'm surprised (she says modestly).

Comment

''Virgin Media plans 2,200 job cuts''

I heard on the news that most of the jobs cuts will be in customer services. Nonetheless, their Chief Exec claims it is critical to ......''deliver on our customers' changing expectations''.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7722644.stm

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X