• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Home energy report

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home energy report

Hi all i was hoping someone could help me with something.

It is to do with the sale of my partners house, recently the estate agents have told my partner that a home energy report has to be put in place on the house and this will cost £85.

Now the X is demanding half the money for this report money which we really havnt got and i was wondering if the first paragraph in the consent order covers the X to pay for this report.

AND UPON the Respondent UNDERTAKING to the Court to pay all outgoings in respect of the former matrimonial home at (The Home) Including the morgage repayments thereon to First Direct (the charge0 and to indemnify the Petitioner in respect of all actions, claims and demands relating thereto.

I thought that this home energy report could fall into the part that i have underlined please could someone advise.

Thanks
    Last edited by Paule; 10th November 2008, 13:59:PM. Reason: removed personal Info

Re: Home energy report

You can do the pack yourself and save the money

Here is the info how to do it
    HIPs: compiling a Home Information Pack : Directgov - Home and community

PKea

Comment

Pkea i have looked at the link you have posted but i still think if you undertake this yourself you will still have to pay for the Certificate and from what i have stated in my first post could we force the X to pay because of what is written in the4 consent order so we would not have to fork out any money for this report.

Comment

DO you have any interest in this house?

If it is sold will you get any of the proceeds?

Comment

Yes when the house is sold then my partner gets 50% of the proceeds.

Comment

If that is the case, then I feel that 50% of the fee is fair then.

As it will benefit you as well.

The judgement you quote will relate to upkeep such as maintenance & repairs to the property when required, paying bills relating to the property, utilities etc.

This is not a general outgoing, it is not something that HAS to be done, It is being done so the property can be sold, which is in your interests as well.

Maybe have a shop around and get some prices first, the EA is probably the dearest as you are, in effect, a captive audience to them, and most people will just let them continue

PKea

Comment

yes i do agree with what you are saying PKea however i still think that this cost should be met by the X and that the cost for this report is covered by the consent order.

The energy report is something that has to be done it is now a legal requirment so i think that it is a cost that the X has to pay.

also because he has to sell ( IE he has been ordered by a judge to sell) the house that is something he has to do and this report is something that has to be done on the house so it can be sold so therefore it would be his responsibilty to get it sorted.

Comment

Is it worth a battle over?

Personally if I wanted my 50% of the house share, the quicker it was sold the better.
                In the curent market, houses are taking long enough to sell anyway, without adding delays over a battle to pay £42.50.

If you cant afford it then fair enough, would the other party accept it in a few payments instead of a lump sum?

Have you looked at other HIP providers yet?

What did the other say when you siad you didnt think you were required tio pay this?

Comment

no its not worth a battle over but was just looking into it to see if we could avoid paying it, it does seem a small amount but every penny counts at the minute.

I have spoke to a solictor and they have said because the proceeds of the house are split equally then the costs of selling it would be split equally aswell a bit like what you said previoulsy PKea so looks like will just pay and be done with it.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

Can I just clarify is this a 'Home Energy Report' or ' 'Home Imnformation Pack'

The latter, from a quick look on the net, tend to cost a few hundred quid, which makes your figure seem strange.
                    If it is the Energy report, this should be encompassed within the HIP.

I would get the Quote with the figures on, and check it properly, there are a few nasties out there it appears.

Obviously I am not an expert in these issues and what I have posted is from reading a few sites out there.

PKea

Comment

yes it is a home energy report.
                      this should be encompassed within the HIP. - what does this mean?
                      ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                      just like to add this is all being done by the estate agents it is them who want the money and they are going to sort the report out.
                      Last edited by killersla; 10th November 2008, 14:32:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

More Info here

Energy Performance Certificates : Directgov - Home and community

Does everyone need an EPC?

The EPC is required by law when a building is constructed, sold or put up for rent.

All sellers of homes need to ensure that they provide a Home Information Pack which includes an EPC for potential buyers.
                        How much will it cost?

The price of an EPC is set by the accredited organisations which issue them. When you obtain a Home Information Pack, the overall cost should include that of an EPC. If you apply for an EPC on its own then the cost for an average house is approximately £100.
                        Have a good read through this site, should tell you everything you need to know regarding HIPs
                        This is the main page
                        Home Information Packs : Directgov - Home and community

Comment

Originally posted by killersla View Post
                          just like to add this is all being done by the estate agents it is them who want the money and they are going to sort the report out.
                          Most estate agents will take their charge from when you sell the house?
                          They need all the sales they can get at the moment, so this is a good bargaining tool, some will even do it for free to get the deal.

Also I have read that if the Estate Agent does it, It is them who own the HIP, so if you want to change agents then you need to fork out again (to the new agent) if you have already paid for it, or paid it (to current agent) if you haven't

It may be beneficial to get a quote from the solicitor handling the sale, that way the HIP will be transferable across agents if needs be.

Comment

ok thanks pkea

Comment

WE have our house up for sale and went to the estate agents and took out the pack through them - what we did not realise is that it tied us in to them only, we could instruct other agents but could not get rid of them. They have since agreed that we can have a multi agency with them but as long as they are still in the loop.

So it is work shopping arround and not being tied in to one agent.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X