• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Statute Barred mortgage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statute Barred mortgage

My neighbours were repossessed in 1988 and up until 2004 were unaware of any shortfall.

In 2004 they were contacted by Asset Recoveries UK Limited regarding the shortfall and have since this time been paying roughly £100 per month.

Now forgive me for being wrong but this debt would have been statute barred from the 12th anniversary of repossession in 2000 as my neighbours had not heard anything relating to any shortfall. They have been pressured into paying a debt they did not need to do so.

If this is the case I believe it is not possible to un-statute bar a debt. Hence can my neighbours claim back every penny they have paid along with interest at 8%?

Re: Statute Barred mortgage

I don't think they can claim any monies paid off a debt voluntarily. All SB means is that the debt cannot be enforced, not that it no longer exists.
    I would SAR the mortgage company to be very sure of their dates and if it turns out to be SB at the time they started paying then stop paying it.

Comment

I would agree - the debt still exists, but is unenforceable if SB, so they couldn't claim back any monies paid.

I would send a statute barred letter and see what they come up with.

Comment

Originally posted by richcufc View Post
        In 2004 they were contacted by Asset Recoveries UK Limited regarding the shortfall and have since this time been paying roughly £100 per month.
        As you acknowledged the debt 4 years ago, it isnt statue barred now

Comment

That's not actually true - once a debt becomes statute barred, by acknowledging it you cannot "un" statute bar it. It remains unenforceable through the courts (as long as you defend any action on the grounds that it is statute barred). Any payments made cannot be recovered as the debt is still owed - it is simply unenforceable through the court system.

Comment

Thank you all most helpful.

I have spoken to my neighbours and they will check their paperwork to make sure there was no contact in the interim period.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X