• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Students and Overdraft: An explanation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Students and Overdraft: An explanation

Student Overdrafts—An explanation

What is a Student Overdraft?
    It is where the bank allows you to go overdrawn with their permission without incurring charges or interest. Most student Overdrafts are “interest free” for the period of your studies. You will have to pay the amount back and you will have the debt of an overdraft. However, you will not be charged interest on your overdraft while you are still studying.

What happens if I am overdrawn and my student loan goes in?
    If you £250 into your overdraft and a student loan of say £1215 goes into the account then your account will be +£975(that is £1215 – 250).

When do I have to pay back the overdraft?
    Once you have completed your studies, the bank may transfer the account onto a graduate account. That may involve either an interest free amount that then goes down over the following few years or may have interest to pay immediately at a preferential rate. You need to make sure you are fully aware of what your banks' terms and conditions say in relation to this. Furthermore, if you continue your studies, it is imperative you make the bank aware of this as they may be able to extend the terms of the student account prior to converting your account, which is done automatically.
    The idea behind this is that when you complete your studies you will be working and therefore have less outgoings than you had while at university study. Your wages coming through on a monthly basis rather than a quarterly basis.

Can I have more than one student overdraft?
    The answer is yes but remember that you are also increasing your debt while at university if you use both of them. The bank could at any point demand repayment of the overdraft as they would be within their rights to do.

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X