• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Subject Access Request- Joint accounts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subject Access Request- Joint accounts

It has come to my attention that NatWest Retail Regulatory Risk are asking for joint signatures for Subject Access Requests compliance. There is a reason for this and yes, i have the answer as to the why.
    Firstly i need to give the background. If you are sending in your £10 then you are not getting a FULL SUBJECT ACCESS REQUEST because all they are sending is statements.
    The FULL SUBJECT ACCESS REQUEST will be notes on the account from the date the account was opened. You can double check your information at any natwest branch if you do not trust Retail Regulatory Risk.
    Under NatWest Group PLC, if you had a joint account is was all about the account not the individual within it. Under RBS Group Plc, every single customer has a single Customer Identification Number(CIN). So notes on the joint account WILL require 2 signatures because it will cross through both computer systems.
    Does that make sense? To oblige with FULL COMPLIANCE make sure any joint account amongst a full subject access request is signed by both parties.

Do you think most of the other banks would use this process as well?

From my Barclays claim all I received were statements and that was on a joint account

Comment

I need to ask this question PKea, what do you understand by Subject Access Request?

Comment

Its just clicked
        'Subject' = Me
        For joint account 2 'Subjects' = Me & wife

If I ask for a SAR they will send details I have and that my wife doesn't have to sign for.
        But due to Data Protection, I suppose, they cant provide info relating to my wife and therefore not full details.
        So for a Joint account if they have both signature they can release all data as they are now ok to do so under Date Protection Act.

Yes? No?

Comment

No, PKea, the question is what do you understand by Subject Access Request? I am asking because in post 2 you said statements.

Comment

Oh right
            I believe that it refers to agreements, application forms, any information they have regarding my association with them.
            ie for MNBA they sent me computer screenshots which listed all telephone calls to and from me.

Comment

Exactly, PKea, a lot of people have assumed that a Subject Access Request is simply statements. It isn't. What you have posted for MBNA is a full Subject Access Request. It relates to all data, ie computer records, in a relevant filing system. You are the data subject asking the company's data controller to release all that information to you. Subject Access Request(SAR) under the Data Protection Act(DPA) and Pkea, you have done many of them so when people read this thread, how much should they pay for a SAR under the DPA?

Comment

A maximum of £10, payable by cheque, postal order, authority to debit account, and probably other methods,

Comment

And what are the usual things that delay completion of the SAR's?
                  You realise that this is fast becoming a how to do a SAR and avoid compications thread now?

Comment

Originally posted by Nattie View Post
                    And what are the usual things that delay completion of the SAR's?
                    The Banks....lol
                    Sorry couldn't resist

The points I think you should put in your SAR are
                    1) The statutory fee of £10
                    2) All addresses in which the account has been operated
                    3) All names under which you have operated the account i.e maiden names and not criminal aliases
                    4) Your Signature (or both signatures for a joint account)

Other Things to help the process and sped it up
                    5) Account numbers & sort Codes - Although my stand on this is that you are not a number and they shouldn't need this, but it speeds the process
                    6) Copy of identification i.e. photocopy of driving license
                    7) Dates of account operation, ie. date opened. closed etc

And other points which I presume you will add Nattie

and yes the thread has gone off on a tangent, but its all useful info
                    Last edited by Paule; 11th July 2007, 21:28:PM.

Comment

Ok, I was going to add please say not the banks, but in the end they do, but how can you make it harder for them to do that?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X