• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Single Persons Benefits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Persons Benefits

Hi All !

Please may I have some advice on what other benefits a single person can claim? I am asking on behalf of my friend and next door neighbor. (Yes, I seem to be helping a lot of people out this week, feel like an agony aunt LOL )

She lives in a 3 bedroom house and is responsible for all household bills. She is receiving Income Support and Housing and Council Tax benefits.. She is 24 and also about 4 months pregnant.

Her total weekly income is £40 per week (after stoppages,arrears,debts etc) and this is all she has to live on to buy herself food, pay bills/utilities,clothing etc...She is actively seeking work, which means she has to also pay for the travel out of the £40 she receives. (she doesn't drive)

I can see clearly she is struggling, and I personally don't know how she lives on such a small amount of money TBH. She recently applied for a crisis loan, they refused as they said she was not entitled to it.

Is there anymore help for her?

Bf xx

Member of the Beagles £2 coin and small change savers clubs, both based in the Debt Forum

Re: Single Persons Benefits

Hi Bloomingflower,

It's not easy found myself having to live on benefits for a while has she checked out Start Calculation

It's a shame but she might find it difficult to get a job being pregnant, has she any other children?

I got Income support
    child tax credits
    i only got about 14 per week housing benefit as 2 of mine are working
    and DLA for my son and child benefit.

SL xx
    Member of the Beagles £2 coin and small change savers clubs, both based in the Debt Forum:11:

Comment

Originally posted by scottishlass View Post
      Hi Bloomingflower,

It's not easy found myself having to live on benefits for a while has she checked out Start Calculation

It's a shame but she might find it difficult to get a job being pregnant, has she any other children? Yes, I agree, trying to find work is difficult when you are expecting as I have been there myself too.
      This is her first child. So it is a bit daunting for her at the mo, struggling to cope with little money coming in...she says she has support from her boyfriend and his family, but at the moment they live apart as he and his family are based in London and she lives here in Surrey.

I got Income support
      child tax credits
      i only got about 14 per week housing benefit as 2 of mine are working
      and DLA for my son and child benefit.

SL xx

Hi SL ... I will pass on the above calculator for her to use ..Thankyou..

Bf xx

Member of the Beagles £2 coin and small change savers clubs, both based in the Debt Forum

Comment

She should be entitled to Child Tax Credits if she has kids (unfortunately, the 'bun in the oven' will not count until it is born). This is a funny area to deal with, but if her income last year was vastly different from her income this year, then she can asked to be assessed on this years income. If it turns out she should be getting more than she has been, then they will backdate it to the beginning of this tax year.

Comment

Where does the £40 per week income come from?
          Is she over 25?
          Is she renting the house?

Comment

Originally posted by Jester View Post
            She should be entitled to Child Tax Credits if she has kids (unfortunately, the 'bun in the oven' will not count until it is born). This is a funny area to deal with, but if her income last year was vastly different from her income this year, then she can asked to be assessed on this years income. If it turns out she should be getting more than she has been, then they will backdate it to the beginning of this tax year.

Hi Jester !

Does this mean she can claim Child Tax Credits while she is claiming Income Support? If so, then this is good news for her, as it is an extra bit of income for her. I will ask her if her income was much lower last year, (but I suspect it was )

This is her first child and her baby is not due til the 6th January 2009, (so if I read your post correctly),can she claim CTC before her baby is due,from April this year to April 2009?

BF xx

Hi Emerald

Originally posted by Emerald View Post
            Where does the £40 per week income come from?

She is claiming Income Support

Is she over 25?

She is 24 yrs old

Is she renting the house?

Yes, I assume the Council pay the majority of the rent, as on top of her Income Support she also receives Housing and Council Tax Benefit.

bfXx

Comment

Hi,

She cannot claim CTC until the baby is born, but she will be entitled to a sure start grant of £500 11 weeks before the baby is born which is very soon.
              She cannot claim WTC as she is under 25.

Regards her housing benefit is she receiving the full amount? She is overhoused according to the rules, and this may be why her income is reduced.

Personally I dont see any point in her looking for week this near to the EDD, as she will gain very little before she is on maternity leave, and her benefits will be all over the place, and I admire her ambition, but she is best looking at this when the baby is oldr and she has reliable childcare.

After the baby is born she will be entitled to CTC, IS (or whatever the new name will be applicable to her) and Child Benefit, it amounts to just about £125 per week, and then Housing and Council Tax are extra.

Comment

This is always a good place to see which benifits you are entitled too.

http://entitledto.co.uk/
                Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X