• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Alliance & Leicester threat - stayed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alliance & Leicester threat - stayed

Hi everyone,first time on here.Just to let you know I sent in a claim to A&L for£2895.15 inc court cost.Firstly they said no way our charges are fair and would defend in court. Yesterday I received a letter saying that the Office of fair Trading is reveiwing the issue and suggest there are similarities between the default charges on current account and credit cards.They beleive that the charges have been applied in accordance with the tersms and conditions of my account.They say the charge is £12 per bounced DD.So to resolve the matter they are going to refund me £1633 inc the court costs.This is deadlined to the 1st August.They also said that media reports of some banks considered closing accounts of people who complained about the charges.They then say that they re-assure me that if Ido accept their offer of settlement they will continue to opperate my account.They would only do so if I accept their Terms and Conditions and that charges will be applied in accordance with our current charging policy.In my eyes that looks like "accept or byebye"

I would tell them, produce me the evidence of 12 pounds and i will accept the offer. I think they are hedging their bets and can you clarify who sent you the letter? Which solicitors?

Comment

A&L threat.

Hi Nattie.The strange thing is this came from A&L not from the solicitors who are representing them

FrankyG

Comment

Is it within 8 weeks of the Letter Before Action?

Comment

Hi Franky, and welcome to the site.

Firstly, their offer is trying to fob you off from claiming the full amount of penalty charges owed to you. This is very common.

Secondly, why not drop a line to the OFT with a copy of the A & L's letter to you, enclosed?

Thirdly open up a parachute account with another bank, just in case.

and as Nattie said, ask them for a breakdown of their costs.

Comment

A&L were one of two banks who publicly declared they would close the accounts of all claimants until they got their wrists slapped for it.

They wrote to me telling me their charges were fair and reasonable about 2 weeks before they sent my cheque for the full amount of my claim, court costs and 8% interest.

You need to decline their kind offer and continue with the claim, I suspect after their experience in court this week, they will pay out before too long.

I have moved your post to the A&L forum as you'll get the best advice from previous claimants here.
            Last edited by iancognito; 8th July 2007, 19:11:PM. Reason: thread moved

Comment

A&L threat

Thank you Ian,Nik and Nattie.Your replies have been very helpful.I have refused their offer and will send a copy to the FO and OFT.In answer to your question Nattie .If you mean 8 weeks till the dead line yes it is within the time

FrankyG

Comment

FrankyG if it is from the bank and you have filed a claim then onwards and upwards. You will win and if you go throught the Financial Ombudsman Service it costs the bank and extra £400.00(nice) or through caught and it will probably be more. Keep us updated.

Comment

A&L threat

Ok will let you know,All the best

Comment

Hello frankie,

so glad you made it.
                    follow all the advice your given and you wont go wrong.

take care
                    mistie

Comment

A&L threat

Can I upload this letter on this site so you can read the bit about closing my account,Im that slow at typing it wouls take me ages

Frank

Comment

Franky

If you can scan it and save it (preferably as a .pdf) you can upload it using the manage attachments link at the bottom of a post reply link.

Any problems e-mail it me at (edited) and i'll upload it for you.

Jan
                        Last edited by iancognito; 12th July 2007, 19:55:PM.

Comment

A&L Threat

Got the court letter through this morning being Held in Northhampton under Judge Murdoch any one had any dealings with him.I noticed that the A&L in Bootle who sent me the offer was on the 8th yet the court was set up from the 9th not much difference.They said the Allocation Questionaire has been dispensed with unless the Judge orders diifferent.I hope not I dont have another £100 pounds.Date of the letter is the 9thdoes that mean 14 days from then or what.

Frank

Comment

I have attached the page from Frankys letter from A&L which I read as threatening to close the account if it goes over its limit again, appears to me they are looking for loopholes in the retaliatory action rule, any other opinions?

Comment

A&L Threat

Hi all. I have a letter from the courts about transfer of proceedings.It is from Northampton.It says it is transfered from Northampton to Southport.and dated the 9th July,that the order was drawn.Does that mean that the case will be held in Southport and is it 14 days from that date.I hope so because if so I will go to the hearing.Does anyone know if this is right. Many thanks

Frank

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X