• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

This is a bit of an obscure one

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is a bit of an obscure one

My step-daughter is living in a shared house with 3 men, she paid a £200 deposit befor moving in. Last thursday one of the Male tenants tried to sexually assault her(she is very shaken but not physically hurt) and understandably she cannot face going back there. Due to the extenuating circumstances involved does she have and legal right to a refund of her deposit if she leaves the house permanently, or is it down to the good will of her landlord?

She has contaced the Police and her Landlord who said he will evict the tenant in question, the Police still haven't bothered to see her to take a statement yet, despit numerous phone calls.

Re: This is a bit of an obscure one

Is the Landlord a nice person, is he approachable?

If he's willing to evict the other house-mate I would imagine he'd be willing to give your daughter a refund on her deposit if she'd rather not return.

Comment

How awful for your Step Daughter.

I totally agree with Amy's suggestions.

Additionally would it worthwhile someone talking to the other two male tenants. I would expect they are pretty disgusted about this situation as well and may be willing to assist your Step Daughter in making additional representations to her Landlord.

Budgie

Comment

Any form of attempted sexual assault is a very serious issue and your step-daughter must insist that a police report is filed as soon as possible.

She could try Victim Support in order to get further free, confidential advice.

Comment

Thanks guys, the landlord does seem to be very approachable so we'll see what he says.

I have just spoken to her and she is still waiting to speak to the Police, how disgusting is that! I will definately get her to speak to Victim Support as she has a habit of bottling things up until it really gets to her. She is moving out of the shared house on Sunday, so at least she will be safe now.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X