• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Guardian Angels utility thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guardian Angels utility thread

This info is most useful, it seems to me that some of the energy suppliers particularly British Gas are in fragrant breach of this code of practice and seem to be profiteering from customers.

As a consumer it is extremely frustrating not only trying to contact BG but also having an intelligible conversation with their call centre staff!

I'm intrigued to find out from a legal stand (with evidence in tow) whether one can take action for overt mishandling of an account!

Advice most welcome!

GA

Up-date on my British Gas Nightmare

When I first posted this original thread I was researching ways in which I could best deal with British Gas, the background is as follows:

I moved into a small 2 bedroom flat November 2007, and immediately registered with Southern Electric to be our dual supplier. Electric bills were flowing regularly but the gas bill didn't arrive quarterly, apparently, because it was a new build it would take some time to filter through.... Sometime in August 2008, I received a gas bill from British Gas for, wait for it......... £1630!

You can imagine my complete shock and horror; I contacted BG immediately and told them I was registered with SE! This was far too complex for the call centre representative to deal with and promised to get a supervisor to contact me; I'm still waiting……. Although I have received a further harassing demand from BG threatening to cut me off!

I also contacted Southern Electric regarding the matter, who explained that as a result of my flat being a new build it had an independent pipe line belonging to BG making the switch over more difficult. Southern Electric had not completed the change-over and would rectify it as soon as they could, they compensated me £20 and have assured me that they will contact BG with accurate meter readings etc….

Why I say that BG breach of their code of practice
    My neighbours have shown me their gas quarterly consumption bill which is on average £35 or less. The flat I reside in is tiny boasting only 5 radiators throughout and no gas cooker!

If BG who supplies the other flats looked at their average consumption, where did the fictitious £1630 come from? Logic dictates that even the average household doesn’t consume as much as £1630 in a year, let alone in less than ten months.

It seems to me that BG may just as well have sent a bill for £1,000,000; it’s a fictitious amount with absolutely no relevance or bearing to actual gas consumption!

As a consumer I have to spend additional time and additional money rectifying mistakes made by multibillion pound companies. BG is incapable of training their staff to a high level of competency in dealing with queries, yet seems to try and profiteer from vulnerable members of the community by asking them to go through heaps and bounds to rectify any of their mistakes and causing them distress.

Obviously I have written to BG, providing them with accurate meter readings, however experience dictates that this is going to be a long drawn out nightmare experience.

Any advice on dealing with this matter swiftly would be greatly appreciated!

GA
    Last edited by guardian angel; 17th September 2008, 12:31:PM. Reason: Up-date on my BG nightmare

Re: The billing code

Hi GA,

i have put you a thread under utilities so you can post all your info there, I can then give you some advice on what steps to take nxt.

Loulou
    Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
    For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
    And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.

Comment

Re: Guardian Angels utility thread

Originally posted by guardian angel View Post
      British Gas are in fragrant breach of this code of practice
      What are you refering to?

Comment

Re: Guardian Angels utility thread

Plesase view my up-dated thread!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X