• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mortgage Penalty Charges Claims

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mortgage Penalty Charges Claims

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
    They charge £80 a pop (£30 returned D/D plus £50 arrears).

The £30 can be claimed - I wouldnt say the £50 arrears are - that will be the build up of interest between when you should have made the payment to when u do. IMO anyway.
    No they carry on charging interest on the amount owed, the £50 is just another penalty.

GMAC have been pretty hard to claim from, but have paid up before a hearing.

You will have a indemnity in the T&C, but I haven't heard of them using it for charges. That doesn't mean they won't though.

Comment

Ahhh its a arrears charges, not actual arrears then.

Yep, interesting that the unfair terms guidelines feature indemnity clauses rather heavily.

Still take this through FOS not court though.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanx guys

The £30 can be claimed - I wouldnt say the £50 arrears are - that will be the build up of interest between when you should have made the payment to when u do. IMO anyway.
        Yes the £50 fee is an arrears fee - another penalty charge as far as I am aware as Amy's says. It's charged every month your account is in arrears.

jax
        ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
        Yep, interesting that the unfair terms guidelines feature indemnity clauses rather heavily

What do you mean by this Ame?
        Last edited by jax007; 18th September 2008, 16:42:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

hi

i believe its these new guidlines
          http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ad.php?t=11094

lots of it and havnt had time to look myself :-)

Borgbaiter

Comment

Hi Jax007, when you received the £30 + £50 charges, did you have to pay them the following month, or was the charges added to the outstanding mortgage account?

Comment

hi

ive been asking the chelsea for over a year how mortgage charges are applied to my account in my own case and they simply dont answer and ignore the question. in the end i had to assume they were added to the mortgage on the date of the notification letters.

id be interested to know the answer to this too, from anyone.

Borgbaiter

Comment

In my case, the lender added the charges straight to the mortgage, and did not give the option of paying them off, this was not in the original terms and conditions, therefore (technically) increasing the loan (mortgage), without our consent, or a new agreement.
                The lender was part of the GE money group (surprise surprise), and i am still looking into it.
                SAR done, info received and collated, but the cogs turn slowly.

Comment

hi

i suspect this is the norm then. does that mean mortgage interest is charged from that day forward do you think? sounds like compund interest is added to the debt from the time of the charge to me?

Borgbaiter

Comment

Thanks for clarifying, jax. I thought £1,000 sounded more like an ERC than arrears administration charges - sincere apologies.

Comment

Back in the good old days when I worked for a soon to be dead as a parrot BS :violin:We did not charge eXtra when a payment was missed- unless re-possession order had been taken.

Lets face it, this is hitting a person when they are down and the BS are already charging interest on the debt - which is reducing at a slower rate so they are gaining anyway.
                      "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

Hi Jax007, when you received the £30 + £50 charges, did you have to pay them the following month, or was the charges added to the outstanding mortgage account?
                        No they don't have to be paid - in the past I have paid the arrears PLUS the fee because I am sure I have read somewhere that the charges have the effect of increasing the overall loan and the term. But it may be different from lender to lender(??)

Thanks for clarifying, jax. I thought £1,000 sounded more like an ERC than arrears administration charges - sincere apologies.

Hey ... no worries!

Comment

Am attaching copies of correspondence at Budgie's request.

Hopefully the file isn't too large ... oh for a scanner like this at home

jax

Comment

I agree scoobs, but if the original agreement was for interest calculated on a £120,000 mortgage, if the debitor has no ability to pay off 3 of these charges, then the mortgage agreement is extended to £120,240, from which the interest rate as agreed is now increased, this may seem trivial, but to someone who has a non perfect credit rating, that has an interest rate of 3.5% over base rate it all adds up.
                            3 bad months means that the capital rate can now be calculated on a £120,00 mortgage, interest can now be calculated on £120,740, which is as bad as a 1/4% rise in the Libbor rate.
                            And as most mortgages are interst rate & Libbor rate, with these penalty charges, and increasd libbor and interest rates a monthly payment of £875.00, increases to £996.50 per month, instead of £925.00.

Comment

Thanks for posting copies of your letters Jax.

As I advised you earlier I have a GMAC claim at a very similar stage to your own.

I suggest we both progress these claims at the same time and use the same approach wherever possible.

I will start my own thread and post up my documents. I have a copy of the mortgage terms and conditions and althought his does contain a paragraph regarding legal costs and expenses but it's nothing to worry about as far as a claim for return of unlawful charges is concerned.

Did you manage to find a copy of the terms and conditions covering your own mortgage with them?

I think first step for both of us will probably be a final LBA ( I certainly need to do one as my last communication with them was a year ago ).

Let me get my own stiff posted up and we can plan our strategy.

Rgds Budgie

Comment

althought his does contain a paragraph regarding legal costs and expenses but it's nothing to worry about as far as a claim for return of unlawful charges is concerned.
                                I disagree babe - although with the new focus on the indemnity clauses its worth looking into further - but only go to court if you can afford to pay costs until a decent case is established. Otherwise stick to FOS.

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X