• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Landlady puts house up for sale without telling tenant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landlady puts house up for sale without telling tenant

Hi Guys
    My sister has lived in a rented property with her son and partner for 6 years and she came home yesterday and the ladlady has put the house up for sale without telling her.......There is a for sale sign up.....Does she have any rights and is there a possibility that the landlady has broke the law by doing this????
    Although she is willing to move I just find it a bit underhanded thats all and am curious about her rights.

Re: Landlady puts house up for sale without telling tenant

I can tell you that when we went to an estate agent about renting our house out, he said we could rent it out and have it up for sale at the same time.
    He said it may put potential buyers off viewing as they would have to wait until the end of the rental agreement.
    I think it is a two months notice on a six month lease, not sure on longer leases. I do think though it is not breaking any laws but I may be wrong Enaid xx

Comment

The landlady didnt even tell them it was going up for sale and hasnt given them any notice etc etc.....Thats what I am wondering about thats all.

Comment

I know properties can be sold with sitting tenents can they not? xx
        Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
        For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
        And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.

Comment

Originally posted by loulou View Post
          I know properties can be sold with sitting tenents can they not? xx
          Homes can be sold with sitting tenants, but viewing have to be agreed with the current tenants.

my father in law has been a tenant for over 20 years in his house.
          it was sold at auction a couple of years ago, he did try to buy but failed.
          He is still the tenant in the house, much to the disappoint of the new owners who wanted to put an astronomical rent rise but couldnt due to him being in a protected tenancy because of the time he has been there

Comment

There are two possibilities that I can see:

- they intend to sell with the sitting tenant, to a BTL investor; or
            - they intend to give notice once they sell.

Presumably it's on a rolling one-month basis if they have lived there for years? One month isn't that hard for the vendor to delay completion, so they wouldn't necessarily tell the tenants.

I would agree with PKea that they can't show people round without the tenants' knowledge or consent, but equally well the tenant probably can't unreasonably withhold that consent.

Comment

I think 24 hours notice has to be given and I am sure I have read somewhere that tenets are legally obliged to allow the landlord access to the property, I am not sure whether this would cover viewings. I really cant see what your sister would be able to do about this situation really xx
              Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
              For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
              And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.

Comment

wether it is right or wrong i dont know, but i have been caught up on the same thing.

I was renting a property after my first marriage breakdown, and after 10 months the for sale sign went up, i then received 6 weeks notice and had to leave, i luckily found another property local, but, the stress of moving again, plus the added expense of laying out deposits and rent up front all added up. Oh, and the fact the landlord decided they wanted to keep my original deposit of £500 for redecorating didnt leave me a happy chappy, luckily a lawyers letter reminding them my deposit was in fact just that, and not a redecorating fund soon put paid to that and after about 3 months i got that back

mini rant over :okay:

Comment

hi

sitting tenants are now a rare thing almost all rental agreements are not protected in the way they used to be and now tend to be short term lettings of 1, 3 or 6 months. these agreements have very little protection for the tenant.

i guess its all here somewhere but beyond me a bit

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1988...80050_en_1.htm

Borgbaiter

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X