• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Nasty Debt Collectors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nasty Debt Collectors

I applied for a Distance Learning Course back in April.

Paid an £90 deposit with the understanding they would charge my CC at monthly intervals for the rest of the course fees - some £600.

Anyway after weeks of chasing them as Id not received anything from them the stuff arrived the day before I was due to leave for Hols.

It arrived with the outer packaging slightly torn but nothing too serious.

Anyway on my return from Hols some 15 days later, (and obvisouly after 3 days being back - I'll admit I didnt exactly run in through the door and deal with the stuff straight away) I had a proper opportunity to look at the course stuff.

I was absolutly horrified - the stuff looked like my 13 year nefew had knocked it up on a PC - it was totally unprofessional and of really poor quality. Further investigating into my credit card showed that the money went to a company based in West Wales when in actual fact the college claimed to be in England.

So I sent them an email saying I didnt want to pursue with the course -and they said for a refund I needed to return the course materials intact. Well this was impossile as the seal was already broken before it even arrived to me (I mean who places a nylon kimble around 350 sheets of paper!!!)

So I just though I would learn by my mistake and just lose the £90.

That was until 8 days ago.....

I started to get a really nasty letter demanding a pay for the whole course fees. I stated that I had cancleled and they claim that I didnt cancell within 14 days. I stated that I had been on Hols (I have evidence of this as well, as in booking forms and invoices) but they didnt care.

They keep sending me letters and emails (4 in one day) threatening debt collection agencys and solicitors involvement as well as adding additional costs and charges on top.

I asked them to justify charging me for a whole course tutition etc etc when all they had done is forward some shabby material to me (which quite frankly isnt even worth the £90 deposit).

The thing is I havent signed any contract with them or any agreement etc etc, so what exactly am I liable for?

Hi Scarlet,

Not a good situation, but all is not lost. Every purchase we make be it financial services or good or in this case a tuition course has a cooling off period. Firstly I advise you contact the college and ask for a copy of their credit agreement. Cooling off periods vary from the minimum 7 days to 30 days. Plus on another level the college are providing a service and not a commodity, ie like sky TV. With this sort of purchase they cannot persue you for the money if you havn't used the service or cancelled your subscription.
    I am not a financial adviser, I have found myself in the same situation on occasions.

Good Luck,
    Hod...Liam..
    Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Comment

Yes thats what I thought. No credit agreement with them - I am certain of that fact!!

Also I think they would be hard pushed to justify that I owe them the whole amount, when I never even started the course!

Their cooling off period was 14 days - but if they had supplied the flipping goods to me promptly in the first place I could have returned them within this period.

I also think the fact I can evidence that I was away on holidays should also go in my favour - I mean I can hardly comply with something if I am not around can I?

Personally I think these people are edging their bets - as I dont beleive they are in fact an actual college - mearly a business offering courses.

Comment

I would take this one to trading standards and ask them to look into it for you.

Trading Standards Central - Trading Standards and Consumer Protection information for the UK
        Last edited by iancognito; 5th July 2007, 05:40:AM. Reason: coz i can't type - thanks HOD

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X