• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Caught shoplifting once, but have done it multiple times before

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caught shoplifting once, but have done it multiple times before

So I got caught shoplifting at Debenhams, and I was taken to a room and was interrogated. They took down my name and address as well as some receipts to check my prior visits. I'll also be receiving RLP letters in a few weeks.
    They said they'd be in contact with police if they found any other times I shoplifted. Since I have shoplifted before, It's very possible they could find evidence. Is it likely they'll pursue me and go to court? I'm very worried and uncertain so some advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: Caught shoplifting once, but have done it multiple times before

Hi and welcome

I suppose the only way they could see if you had stolen from them in the past would be to scroll through their security cctv records.
    I doubt they will even bother to waste their time, as even if you were seen to have picked an item up they would need for the cameras to keep you in view the whole time you were in the shop, show you hadn't dropped the item and then left without paying, to enable a charge of theft to stick. Most unlikely IMO that the police would press for court appearance if they took any action at all. Perhaps a caution.
    If by chance you should be invited to an interview with the police do take your own solicitor or ask for the duty solicitor. Do not go unaccompanied, they are not being friendly!

You will get a series of scary letters from RLP which you may ignore.
    Preview available here: http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...=scary+letters

Comment

Re: Caught shoplifting once, but have done it multiple times before

Thank you for your response. There may be a few incidents but the items aren't worth much. I hope this blows over as I realise this problem of mine is more serious than I thought. Thank you again for your insight.

Comment

Hi Excelsior, Any news?

Comment

Do stores LP officers check all caught shoplifters for possible cases in the past? Because it is pretty common that it was not the first case. Just was not caught before.

Comment

Can't see them wasting their time, and how long do they keep old CCTV records anyway (week/month?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X