• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Voluntary Termination before halfway through

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voluntary Termination before halfway through

Hi All,

My wife has a seat Ibiza with VW finance and has paid about 6.5k of the original 15k due. and we want rid of the car.

We now longer use the car and its simply sat on our drive doing nothing which is obviously going to deteriorate its condition. I read somewhere (although now cant find the reference) that we can return the car at any time, as long as we keep paying the finance until we have paid the 50%.

Any guidance here would be appreciated.

Thanks

Carl
    Tags: None

Re: Voluntary Termination before halfway through

Hi Carl,

You are right in that your wife can terminate any time before the final payment becomes due. This is set out in section 99(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. If you do terminate the.ln you will be liable to make up the difference between what you’ve paid and 50% of the total amount.

Of course many lenders will insist that 50% must be paid before you can VT but this is wrong and misleading. If this happens, then you should point out and ask them where it says you need to pay 50% before you can VT - they won’t be able to because the law doesn’t say that.

They also have duties under FCA rules and The Treating Customers Fairly principle. They can’t expect you to pay any outstanding balance in one lump sum especially where you can’t afford to do that or it will cause you financial hardship.

If they are refusing to accept your VT I would simply make a formal complaint about it meaning they’ve got 8 weeks to give their final decision otherwise you can go to the Ombudsman. If your forced to make a complaint I would also be seeking a small sum of compensation as it should have never got to that point in the first place if it wasn’t for VW dragging their heels.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Re: Voluntary Termination before halfway through

Hi Rob,

Thanks for getting back to me. I guess we should simply draft a letter requesting a VT and detailing that she wishes to continue to make the payments on the existing agreement until such time as she has fulfilled her commitment to 50%? are then any template available that would make a good starting point for this?

Many Thanks

Carl

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X