• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Data Protection Act question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data Protection Act question

My local sailing club, probably driven by someone who like to be in charge and knows everything, has come up with a change that requires permission be given by each and every member for their name and telephone number to be included in a membership directory.

My understanding was that this use of personal data was acceptable as long as it was for internal use within the organisation.

Anybody got any ideas and pointer about this? This woman seems to be adding another layer of bureaucracy to a process that wasn't broken and didn't need fixing. I've crossed swords with her before about the DPA and what she thinks is in it.
    Tags: None

Re: Data Protection Act question

The membership details in my local Quaker Meeting are recorded in the list of members which is published. However every member has to give individual consent to be included in the membership book which is seem as a potentially public document. I know one member whose name is included in the list to of members with the note "address with elderly at the members request".

Comment

Hi Ostell,

In a nutshell, all members should give consent for the information to be held. The rules surrounding Data Protection are due to change in May 2018 when the GDPR (General Data Protection Rules) come into force. Unfortunately (or fortunately) it does significantly tighten up how personal data is held and how it should be destroyed too.

I would say there is no harm in just getting everyone on the members list to confirm they are happy for the info to be held by the club. This article may help: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/gdpr-mounta...s-introduction
      I appreciate it is concerning a mountaineering club but is equally relevant to your situation.

Probably not what you wanted to hear sorry.
      I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

Thanks for that. The info is purely name and phone number, info that is widely available anyway

Comment

Irrelevant unfortunately it is still personal data and therefore consents are needed.
          Good luck.
          I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X