• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Joint Tenancy Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joint Tenancy Help

So, me and a mate have moved in together less than 2 weeks ago. He has now moved all of his stuff back home saying he needs to be back there and doesn't know when he will be back if at all. He's said he will contribute his half of rent and all bills for the period he has signed for (6 months) but appears to be ignoring my request to talk to me and sort this out. Bills come out soon, so it needs sorting.

I'm looking to find out what, by law, could be done about this if the worst comes to the worst and he tries to not communicate with me properly or do what he's agreed to do.

Tenancy paperwork was signed by both myself and him, tying us down to a 6 month tenancy.

I've so far been nice and messaged him telling him to keep me informed, but now he's ignoring me I'm thinking I'm going to have to take a firmer approach. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    R
    Tags: None

Re: Joint Tenancy Help

Any help here would be appreciated as I need to get things moving with him ASAP before I'm left with no money whatsoever.

Comment

Is there a single tenancy agreement or two individual tenancy agreements ? 6 month tenancy agreement ? Any deposit paid ? Any break clause in the agreement ( so you could leave if it's too much on your own )

As you will know you are jointly and individually liable for the full rent, so if he doesn't pay his share the landlord can ask you to pay the full amount, and you're left with a private ( verbal?) agreement between you and your ex house mate, under which you could sue him for payment for breaching the agreement if it comes to it, but whether he would pay it or not is another matter. Bills wise - which bills has agreed to pay - council tax/ water/ electric/gas ?
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
        Is there a single tenancy agreement or two individual tenancy agreements ? 6 month tenancy agreement ? Any deposit paid ? Any break clause in the agreement ( so you could leave if it's too much on your own )

As you will know you are jointly and individually liable for the full rent, so if he doesn't pay his share the landlord can ask you to pay the full amount, and you're left with a private ( verbal?) agreement between you and your ex house mate, under which you could sue him for payment for breaching the agreement if it comes to it, but whether he would pay it or not is another matter. Bills wise - which bills has agreed to pay - council tax/ water/ electric/gas ?
        [MENTION=6]Amethyst[/MENTION] it’s a single tenancy agreement signed by us both.
        Deposit paid between both of us 50/50.
        Break clause - unsure, would have to check

I’ve got text messages to confirm he will pay his 50% of everything - so rent, council tax, water, gas/electric, internet/phone

Comment

Originally posted by RJH View Post
          his half of rent and all bills for the period he has signed for (6 months) but appears to be ignoring my request to talk to me and sort this out. Bills come out soon . . . .

Tenancy paperwork was signed by both myself and him, tying us down to a 6 month tenancy.
          Since you say you both signed a tenancy agreement then you are both jointly and severally liable for the rent I'm afraid.

If it was a six month AST there will not be a break clause so there's no escape except by voluntary agreement with the Landlord to surrender the tenancy. But then where would you live?

Your Landlord may agree to do that if you pay for the cost of replacing yourselves with new Tenants who would have to be acceptable to the Landlord.

Is there any chance you can find someone else to take your mate's room and pay rent? The Landlord would need to agree to this and reference them as well.

The bills are a different issue. Whose name is on them (the utilities and/or phone/broadband etc)?

If you're living there on your own then you should be able to claim Single Person Exemption (25% discount) for your council tax.

Do you know the real why reason your mate had a change of mind so soon after moving in, and is it likely to be reversed?

Di

Comment

I guess my query really is what can I do to get things rolling with him, ranging from getting it sorted amicably through to potential court action if required?

The rent and bills can be paid solely by me but with my other outgoings it would leave me less than £50 a month to live.

It is an AST, and the bills 1 council tax, water, phone and internet are in joint names.

Comment

[MENTION=6]Amethyst[/MENTION] [MENTION=87380]Diana M[/MENTION]

My 'flatmate' has paid his share of the bills for this month which is positive. Hoping he is sorting the 6 months of his share of the rent out with the estate agents today. Fingers crossed.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X