• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Zoo Photography Copyright

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zoo Photography Copyright

Morning folks,

I'm an amateur photographer and as well as photographing wildlife I also do a reasonable amount of zoo photography. For the most part, this is for my own personal use (birthday cards for friends/family, photos in the house, etc.), although some go on my not-for-profit wildlife education website.

Recently, someone has asked for some photos to go into a book they're publishing and asked if there was any permission needed before photos of captive animals could be published. The book is very niche and won't hit any best-sellers lists, but it got me thinking about whether zoos own the copyright to the images of animals in their collection?

The only thing I've ever seen on this subject was a Monkey World, a primate rescue centre in Dorset. They have a sign at the entrance to the park stating:

Photography. We are happy for you to photograph or video our primates as a reminder of your visit to the park, however this must be for personal use only. You may not use photographs or videos taken of our primates, staff or park, for any commercial purposes. - Exploitation is exactly what we rescued many of our primates from, and so Monkey World retains the copyright of their images.

I appreciate the sentiment and, as it happens, would never use any photos I'd taken there without their permission (despite the fact they use any I send them without crediting me as the photographer!). I was interested to know whether there's a legal basis for this, though? Can a public attraction own the copyright to images you've taken because they're of animals in their collection? Perhaps Monkey World is a special case and, as the sign's right by the turnstiles, by entering the park you're agreeing to these terms by going in?

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

Many thanks,
    Marc.
    Tags: None

Re: Zoo Photography Copyright

As a general rule of thumb, the photographer owns the copyright, regardless of the subject of the image.

I would imagine that the Monkey World sign is more of a request than a legal notice.

Comment

Thanks EXC.

I was thinking it was probably more of a "polite notice" than anything legally enforceable, but wasn't sure if zoo animals fell into the domain of model or property release forms.

Cheers,
      Marc.

Comment

Found this on: http://www.paulreynolds.com/articles...0The%20Law.pdf

I love taking animal photos at the zoo - am I allowed?Zoos are private property and will have their own restrictions they're free to impose on photographers. As ageneral rule, most zoos will allow photography for private and personal use. You'll need express permissionfor commercial photography and it will usually require payment of a fee. Check with the zoo before youvisit.

Comment

Thanks des8.

For clarification, I spoke to one of the zoos where the photos were taken and they confirmed that they have to OK all photos taken at their zoos before they can appear in publications put on sale. In this case they seem OK with a credit that the photos were taken at their zoo, but they do sometimes request a fee.

Cheers,
          Marc.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X