• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Uber screwed me over big time - mugged in Buenos Aires

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uber screwed me over big time - mugged in Buenos Aires

Hi all,

I landed late in Buenos Aires last Friday night for holiday. Took a Uber to my hotel and went to pay - no money in my bank?

I was turfed out by the hotel security as I couldn't pay and they suspected me of freeloading - lots of bums on the streets in BA, security people in every shop and bank and hotel and place of residence.

I logged into my bank and found that Uber instead of taking £30 for my airport journey took £900???

I was homeless and could not call my bank to do anything as it was so late.

I was forced to find a place to sleep at 2am in an abandoned car-park. Woken up at about 4 by someone pulling on my laptop bag - there were four men mugging me. When I resisted they pushed me down forcefully and took off with my laptop, kindle, etc.

I went to the police that next morning after getting family to send me funds, and they told me vagrancy was illegal and I would be arrested if I wanted to report the crime.

So I am now home, without my laptop which I rely on for work. I contacted Uber repeatedly via their crappy cmr service link in the app. The people I spoke to refunded me, then ignored my other complaints/costs/issues. Every time I reopen the case they close it. I rely on my laptop for work and told them I am now losing £200 a week!!! I demanded they escalate and they ignored that too.

Also contacted their CEO via Twitter - no response.

What legal grounds do I have here?
    Tags: None

Re: Uber screwed me over big time - mugged in Buenos Aires

er UK
    Ms Tom Elvidge Regional General Manager
    Email tom.elvidge@uber.com
    Personal Twitter @jo_bertram
    Social Media
    Related lists UK Companies (U)
    - - - Updated - - -

seems they try to be awkward to contact in their listing, obtrusive maybe?

Comment

I think you have to claim on your travel insurance for the laptop and kindle. Oh and never Use Uber again.
      An Amex card or a pre paid debit card might solve the problem in the future.

Comment

Do I have a case in Court?

Comment

sure the peeps in the know will be along soon, it is the weekend?

- - - Updated - - -

try RESOLVER and make a formal complaint to them , that will start the ball rolling, there is a procedure to take to get all avenues into the right place, keep copies of all correspondence and request in date order for starters I suggest.

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
            sure the peeps in the know will be along soon, it is the weekend?

- - - Updated - - -

try RESOLVER and make a formal complaint to them , that will start the ball rolling, there is a procedure to take to get all avenues into the right place, keep copies of all correspondence and request in date order for starters I suggest.

Anyone?

Comment

Do as asked.

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
                Do as asked.
                I do not have insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by friendlyfire View Post
                  I do not have insurance.

your age etc would of been very cheap to buy = no excuse sorry the fact of life.

Comment

try Resolve as suggested above

Comment

Originally posted by friendlyfire View Post
                      Do I have a case in Court?
                      If you are asking whether you have a case in a UK court I am not sure why you are asking that since the Uber ride took place in Buenos Aires. The answer to your question is you might do, but not the UK unless there's something we don't know about which makes the UK courts have jurisdiction, though not likely from what you've said.

Did Uber refund the £900 back to you? If they did, I am not sure what recourse you have anyway since your goods were stolen by thieves not Uber. You ought to have had travel insurance to cover yourself as suggested and because you didn't I'm afraid it a case of bad luck and next time remember to take out insurance.
                      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
                        If you are asking whether you have a case in a UK court I am not sure why you are asking that since the Uber ride took place in Buenos Aires. The answer to your question is you might do, but not the UK unless there's something we don't know about which makes the UK courts have jurisdiction, though not likely from what you've said.

Did Uber refund the £900 back to you? If they did, I am not sure what recourse you have anyway since your goods were stolen by thieves not Uber. You ought to have had travel insurance to cover yourself as suggested and because you didn't I'm afraid it a case of bad luck and next time remember to take out insurance.
                        Seems like a very sensible suggestion!. Since travel insurance unless you have significant medical problems is not expensive, why take the risk?
                        Last edited by Spirit200; 6th November 2017, 09:42:AM. Reason: new advice

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit200 View Post
                          Seems like a very sensible suggestion!. Since travel insurance unless you have significant medical problems is not expensive, why take the risk?
                          Exactly, and for the price you are more than enough covered generally. I admit, I don't always get travel insurance but if your carrying valuable items around, it would make sense for the sake of £15 or less, especially somewhere like Buenos Aires. I've not been there myself but have heard some real horror stories of poverty, corruption, crime etc.
                          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X