• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

PCN issued whilst in hire car?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PCN issued whilst in hire car?

And wait till close towards the end of the 21 days to appeal to send the letter, making sure that they get it within that time. This stops them issuing another compliant NTK.

Comment

Ah, that's another great tip....thanks very much!

Comment

Hey Everyone,

Good news! Parking One Solution confirmed the PCN is now deemed closed (see attached their reply).

Thanks again to everyone for all your help.

Ostell - You mentioned that the car hire companies 'admin charges' might be retrievable depending on the T's & C's. The only thing I can find in their terms is ......

"Please remember that you responsible for all road tolls and any fines or breaches of traffic regulations during your rental. Any costs incurred will be charged to you plus an administration fee for our time dealing with the issue."

"An administration fee of £ 42.00 (including tax) will apply per parking, traffic or congestion charge fine."

Any regs/statutes I can state when requesting the refund or is it just a case of letting them know the case has been closed and therefore their admin fee was not justified?

Thanks in advance.

R
        Attached Files

Comment

Good result but there was nothing mitigating about it, they failed to get it right and therefore no liability.

They mention the word "Fine". It was none of the items mentioned in the terms. it was a mere invoice. Say that there was not a fine and therefore they having incorrectly interpreted their own terms and conditions. Also tell them that there was in fact no payment required to the originator of the invoice (show the letter and explain it was not mitigation bit failure). If there was separate charge on your credit card do a charge back on the card for an unauthorised debit.

Comment

Thanks very much......I've sent an email today and will let you know what happens.

Incidentally I got another invoice from Hertz for a different period of car hire (I use car hire a lot!), although this was for the amount of £21.35 for which they stated was for a 'fine'.

When I asked them for the evidence I got this reply....

"Dear R,

Thank you for contacting us. I appreciate the opportunity to review your concerns.

I can confirm that in this instance, Hertz were required to pay the fine on your behalf. No administration fee from Hertz was applied for this invoice. I have attached a copy of the invoice.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you again for contacting us and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Oliver,

Hertz Customer Service"

....I have since replied to this email re-iterating that I need to see the evidence before I can comment and that they are surely not allowed to just take random amounts off my card without providing at least a copy of the PCN/fine.

Comment

Are you saying that they have taken this parking charge from your card?
              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
              Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
              gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
              The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

They certainly have....first I heard of it was an invoice in the post (see attached).

When I checked my CC account I saw the debit had been made and I was £21.35 short!
                Attached Files

Comment

You could involve your card company and dispute the charge as unauthorised. £21.35 seems an odd amount.

Comment

It does doesn't it!......I will see how they respond to the email and then take it up with my CC company.

Thanks very much, I'll keep you posted.

Comment

So it turns out it was a charge for a non-payment of fuel back on 24-07-17 (See attached letter from BP to Hertz).

I use Gatwick BP everytime to fill up before handing car back at car hire Gatwick. Of course I always pay for it! Checked my bank statement on that date and had proof of a £2.50 payment to Gatwick BP on that same day, so I'm thinking the shop assistant must have put my chocolate bars through but not the fuel!

Anyway, seems legit as I can't find any evidence that I did pay for fuel that day and the amount seems like the amount I usually use over a weekend. Just a bit miffed Hertz can just charge my card 3 months after the event without asking me first.....and they keep referring to it as a 'fine'!

Dear Mr xxxxxxx,

Thank you for contacting us. I appreciate the opportunity to review your concerns.

I have attached a copy of the fine to this email for your own review.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you again for contacting us and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Adeyinka Adebowale

Hertz Customer Service
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hey Everyone,

Just another quick update in what was a successful conclusion to this story.

Hertz recently got back to me to confirm they will be refunding the £42 'admin fee' from the PCN that was subsequently closed.

Thanks again to Ostell and everyone else who contributed to this victory

Dear XXXXX,

A refund of 42.00 GBP has been issued back into the card of payment. Please allow 7-10 working days for the refund to reflect on your next statement.

Yours sincerely,

Hertz Customer Service

www.hertz.com

Comment

Nice one!

I'll give [MENTION=39331]ostell[/MENTION] a nudge.
                          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                          gets his brain a-going.
                          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X