• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Working from home request

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working from home request

I have requested to work from home one day a week (I am a Marketing Manager based in a head office)
    Initially, my verbal request was pushed to the side by my boss, I then emailed a few weeks later and this was also brushed to the side.
    Next step was to involve our group company HR and request the formal procedure for flexible working which was met with 'The parent company have a policy but I am unsure one exists for yourselves'
    Finally I received the policy and put my request in writing in August and I finally had a meeting (which felt like a disciplinary) in the middle of October.

I have now formally received the 'It's a no' based on 3 things:

1. Unreasonable IT set up costs to work from home
    2. Difficulties with communications and availability at short notice
    3. Inappropriate due to planned changes ie online ordering

I now have 7 days to appeal the decision which I will because I can justify my request. (the costs are negligible as I have a laptop and internet connection at home, others work from home in the business, and the planned changes are electronic and can be worked on remotely)
    My worry is that if I appeal and this is escalated further then will my card be marked for the future....

Thanks in advance for any advice and guidance.
    Tags: None

Re: Working from home request

Presumably you have already had a good read through the ACAS information on homeworking / flexible working - http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1616

One day a week really doesn't sound unreasonable but not knowing what your job actually involves it is tough to say whether they are reasonable.

Do the others who do work from home do a similar job?

When you are at work are you pretty much in your office/at your desk without constant communication/interaction with colleagues (for work stuff) ?

Are there Data Protection / Security issues with taking work home or operating from home ? ( do you take work home regularly already on evenings/weekends for example - and has there ever been any issue raised with that ?)

Do you live a long way from the office ? ( ie if needed urgently in person could you get to the office quickly ?)

Is your request to do homework based on something that might affect how well you can do your work from home ? ( eg need to be at home to care for child / relative etc )

I'll tag [MENTION=51026]Ula[/MENTION] to have a look as I don't know the legalities, just a couple bits jumped into mind when reading your post.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

[MENTION=6]Amethyst[/MENTION] has asked some good questions which it would be useful to know the answers to.

Your employers has used 3 of the limited number of set grounds which are given as acceptable for refusing to accept a request for flexible working. However are these actually issues you think are "real" and what from you have said you feel you have reasons which would mitigate their concerns. What you may need to think about in your appeal is try to compare your situation to those circumstances where flexible working has already been agreed and details how it is not different.

Another thought is to suggest that your company trials you working from home for a period of 3 months and if there is no detriment to the way you do your job or the operational efficiency of your role then it can at that point consideration can be given to it becoming a permanent change.
      If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
      If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Originally posted by barty9 View Post
        I have requested to work from home one day a week?... My worry is that if I appeal and this is escalated further then will my card be marked for the future....

Thanks in advance for any advice and guidance.
        HI,

OK Mate, Message from Mr Direct...

Said "No" informally. Then they said "No" semi-formally. Now they are saying "No FULL ON, OFFICIAL REASONS, RESEARCHED, LOCKED AND LOADED".

Cost / Benefit Analysis. Is this worth it to you?

Your legal right is to ASK without being punished for ASKING. If you feel you have been so punished there is appeal in the firm then appeal to ACAS.

Thoughts?

Viking

Comment

thanks for looking at this:

Do the others who do work from home do a similar job? - some sales and operations staff but I am the only person in the business performing the 'marketing communications' role

When you are at work are you pretty much in your office/at your desk without constant communication/interaction with colleagues (for work stuff) ? yes very much so, I asked to work one day a week from home to aid my concentration levels on particular projects

Are there Data Protection / Security issues with taking work home or operating from home ? ( do you take work home regularly already on evenings/weekends for example - and has there ever been any issue raised with that ?) No not really, my role is very much 9-5pm with one weekend a year which involves a trade exhibition.

Do you live a long way from the office ? ( ie if needed urgently in person could you get to the office quickly ?) I live 20mins drive away from the office.

Is your request to do homework based on something that might affect how well you can do your work from home ? ( eg need to be at home to care for child / relative etc ) - It would enable me to concentrate without distraction and would occasionally assist with picking my children up from school.

I'll tag @Ula to have a look as I don't know the legalities, just a couple bits jumped into mind when reading your post.

Comment

Originally posted by Viking1985 View Post
            HI,

OK Mate, Message from Mr Direct...

Said "No" informally. Then they said "No" semi-formally. Now they are saying "No FULL ON, OFFICIAL REASONS, RESEARCHED, LOCKED AND LOADED".

Cost / Benefit Analysis. Is this worth it to you?

Your legal right is to ASK without being punished for ASKING. If you feel you have been so punished there is appeal in the firm then appeal to ACAS.

Thoughts?

Viking
            Had the appeal and it was a no mainly based on 'it would open the flood gates for others!'

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X