• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Caught shoplifting and threatened with civil recovery / court

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caught shoplifting and threatened with civil recovery / court

I did something I'm not proud off. I shoplifted jewellery and got caught the next day.

They totalled the amount and I genuinely didn't realise that it came to as much as it had. I was cooperative and calm. The police were called but didn't arrive and I was released after a long time of waiting.

My drivers licence was checked and they said that I'll hear from civil recovery and court.

They have banned me from the store which I understand. I plan to have a friend take the items back tomorrow evening on my behalf with a note of apology as I don't want to get arrested for trespassing.

It's completely out of character for me to do it as am very shy and quiet and I don't know what made me do it.

I'm disappointed in myself for doing this and want to get it resolved.

I'm praying that once the items are returned that the civil recovery will be dropped??

Please help a very worried lady!
    Tags: None

Re: Caught shoplifting and threatened with civil recovery / court

Originally posted by Pinklady1 View Post
    I did something I'm not proud off. I shoplifted jewellery and got caught the next day.

They totalled the amount and I genuinely didn't realise that it came to as much as it had. I was cooperative and calm. The police were called but didn't arrive and I was released after a long time of waiting.

My drivers licence was checked and they said that I'll hear from civil recovery and court.

They have banned me from the store which I understand. I plan to have a friend take the items back tomorrow evening on my behalf with a note of apology as I don't want to get arrested for trespassing.

It's completely out of character for me to do it as am very shy and quiet and I don't know what made me do it.

I'm disappointed in myself for doing this and want to get it resolved.

I'm praying that once the items are returned that the civil recovery will be dropped??

Please help a very worried lady!
    There have been several cases involving civil recovery reported in LB.
    Generally it is not the store that invokes action but a zealous security guard.
    In most actions for civil recovery, you get several threatening letters asking for payment, the advice given on this forum is to ignore them.

For Previous Cases Search Civil Recovery
    Last edited by Spirit200; 25th October 2017, 23:16:PM.

Comment

I fully intend to return the items tomorrow after work, so they will have the items back in their possession. They were saying that it was coming to hundreds of pounds worth taken; I will check this as seems a lot, all of which will be returned.

I'm hoping it gets resolved by me returning the items and that the civil recovery and police aren't involved?

Comment

How did you get caught the next day? CCTV footage viewed overnight and challenged when you returned to the same store the next day ?

You need to ensure that you get a receipt for returning the goods ( i know that sounds weird considering ) so you can evidence that they have the goods back in resaleable condition. Also, I'd recommend doing it yourself, maybe telephone in advance and ask to speak to the manager and make an appt to go in with the jewellery to return it and give her/him your apologies at the same time.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Fully intend to pay and laugh I got of with it are separate things* but I read your story so should be ok

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X