• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council Tax Bailiffs - Equita

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council Tax Bailiffs - Equita

Hi

Firstly, may I thank anyone in advance for any help/advice

I have 2 seperate council tax debts, both now with Equita Bailiffs.

The first one is for £700 and I paid £300 off and agreed to pay the remaining £400 off at £100 a month. When they visited, they seized the car on the driveway until I paid it off, although as I said, eventually accepted £300. The car is not legally mine and I am not on the logbook, but I am insured to drive the car. The owner of the car presented the bill of sale from around 18 months ago but the agents were not having any of it.

My question is - The agents still insist they have seized the car until the £400 is paid off. Is this legal despite a bill of sale being shown to them? Surely they could no longer seize the car if its proved I am not the legal owner.

I have a second debt from the same council and now with the same bailiffs. I got an enforcement notice saying I owed £535. Upon phoning the council, they confirmed the amount was £325 including the £75 fee for getting the liability order. Equita have confirmed they have not added their £235 fee, just the compliance fee of £75, so I believe the debt should be £400. Equita have been fairly reasonable, saying I can just pay £100 a month for another 5 months to pay off the £535.

So my second question is - Is this notice or writ from the bailiffs enforceable despite the amount being wrong? I haven't let on to the bailiffs regarding the true amount yet, but I have had it confirmed the bailiffs are charging too much.

Thanks for the help
    Tags: None

Re: Council Tax Bailiffs - Equita

As far as seizing goods is concerned then they may only seize those goods which are the property of the debtor. The owner of the car should have made a claim in writing as to ownership & if the Bailiffs should be asking the Creditor for advice on what they wanted to do, which if necessary would have involved making a Court claim about it. The Court would then decide. They could still tackle the Council over this to try and get it resolved. How much is the vehicle worth? Given what you owe I think a value of approx £5k would not be unreasonable as they may only get 20% of its value at auction. Were you given a Form detailing the Goods seized?

As for the fees charged have you asked Equita for a breakdown? Looking at it I see:
    2 x Compliance Fees @ £75 = £150
    1 x Enforcement Fee @ £235 = £235
    Total = £385
    Have you confirmed with the Council and received the answer in writing of what you do actually owe according to each Liability Order?

It doesn't really matter about what sum the Bailiff is demanding as this can be sorted out later. The fact they have a "live" Liability Order is all they need.

Comment

Let's not forget that if the second LO was given to the EA after the first one had already gone to "Enforcement" a second £235.00 can and will be charged.
      The Black rat (Rattus rattus) is a common (hence the accusation of being Pleb) long-tailed rodent of the genus Rattus (rats) in the subfamily Murinae (murine rodents). The species originated in tropical Asia and spread through the Near East in Roman times (another thing that we ought to thanks the Romans for, besides roads, aqueducts and public toilets) before reaching Europe by the 1st century and spreading with Europeans across the world.

A mutation of the beast now comes black leather clad, riding a motorcycle that looks like a battenbergh cake on wheels.

A skilled predator, totally ruthless with it's prey, but also known to be extremely generous in doling out tickes that can provide points for motorists who want to downsize from mechanically propelled vehicles to bycicles.

It's a dirty job, but someone got to do it!

My opinions are free to anyone who wishes to make them theirs, but please be advised that my opinions might change without warning once more true facts are ascertained

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X