• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Insult from plumber

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insult from plumber

Hi
    My mothers been having problems with her central heating &hot water and the plumber said she needed
    To change her room thermostat
    she has just received an email and in it was the plumbers work sheet and the plumber said that he changed it to a more idiot proof one
    i think this is extremely insulting my mother is 70
    but is far from an idiot
    after reading this she was very upset
    i was just wondering if this is with complaining to the company about
    hope you can help thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Insult from plumber

I think the plumber was being very helpful and working to supply an easier to use thermostat. Idiot proof is just a turn of phrase meaning something easier to use.

Comment

I agree with @ostell

The term generally means virtually impossible to mess up or misuse, or simple to use, & is normally encompassing the population as a whole, not directed at a particular person.
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi thanks for your reply
        the problem im having believing that this wasnt ment as an insult was because my mother had to call them out six times to solve the problem with the heating which after changing the pcb board in the boiler the port valve box twice the battery’s in the original room stat then finally the room stat its self as none of these things fixed the problem with the heating
        after getting in a different company it turned out to be the programer under the boiler
        I personally think because he couldn’t solve the issue
        He resorted to insults
        what im wondering is should I complain to the ombudsman
        do i have a case
        thanks for your help

Comment

Have to agree with Ostell may I ask which company he worked for? and what would you expect the Ombudsman to do in this case, An apology from the company should be sought I think

Comment

Does the company participate in the Ombudsman scheme?
            Even if it did you would need to exhaust the firm's complaints process first.
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Can you not just simply forward a copy of his email to his company explaining your upset?

Comment

Maybe try
                https://www.resolver.co.uk/
                CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

Comment

I would simply write to the company involved. Point out putting the term "idiot proof" on an invoicentre is both unprofessional and potentially insulting. Ask for an apology and an assurance that it won't happen again. Lay the letter out labelled "formal complaint". Then have a nice cup of tea with a biscuit and let the matter drop . Oh and don't use that firm of plumbers again.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                    my mother had to call them out six times to solve the problem with the heating which after changing the pcb board in the boiler the port valve box twice the battery’s in the original room stat then finally the room stat its self as none of these things fixed the problem with the heating
                    after getting in a different company it turned out to be the programer under the boiler
                    I personally think because he couldn’t solve the issue

He resorted to insults
                    what im wondering is should I complain to the ombudsman
                    Unless I've misunderstood, the perceived insult came from the first plumber who failed to solve the boiler problem after six attempts. Perhaps he's the "idiot" in this saga.

Did your Mum pay the first plumber for all those call-outs and the parts? If so she may want to get her money back, and maybe a bit more on top for 'stress and inconvenience'.

Or was the heating system covered by a breakdown policy or something similar?

There will be different complaint routes to take (for escalation and/or third party redress) depending on your answer.

Your Mum may need to get the second plumber to give her written proof of the work he carried out which eventually resolved the issue.

Di

Comment

Hi thanks for your reply
                      my mums boiler cover was through her house insurance
                      I called them to complain about how long this took
                      even though it was six visits its actually taken two months for this to be sorted and there response wasn’t good
                      so i think i will take it to the complaints department
                      thanks for your help

Comment

my mums boiler cover was through her house insurance
                        I called them to complain about how long this took
                        even though it was six visits its actually taken two months for this to be sorted
                        Then I would think she may have a complaint against the Insurance Provider who will (or should) have a formal complaints procedure which she can escalate to the FOS (assuming the insurer is authorised and regulated by the FCA).

Who is it? They will probably have outsourced the job to a management company who gives the job to a sub-contractor but the buck stops with the insurer since she's paying them for her cover.

Two months without heating and hot water isn't funny!

Di

Comment

Hi
                          her insurance company is churchill and they use a company called mitie
                          is it churchill or mitie i should report or both or the plumbers them selfs or all three
                          thanks

Comment

her insurance company is churchill and they use a company called mitie
                            is it churchill or mitie i should report or both or the plumbers them selfs or all three

Your Mum should make the complaint to Churchill Insurance and let them do the work.

She can call the Home Emergency Team on 0345 301 6238 (ask for 'existing claims') to get the ball rolling.

If they don't resolve her complaint to her satisfaction within eight weeks she can then refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Here's some info on Churchill's Complaints Procedure > https://www.churchill.com/contact-us/complaints

I would suggest the complaint is about 'shoddy workmanship' (the six visits to get it fixed) and add the insulting remark into the bit about seeking compensation for inconvenience and stress.

I'm sorry your Mum was upset by that insensitive remark. I would be too (your Mum and I are almost the same age) although in my case it would be entirely accurate since I'm hopeless with technology!

Her feelings have been hurt, and hurt is subjective. Hopefully making a formal complaint and receiving a full apology will help to put that right.

Di

Comment

Hi thankyou so much for your help
                              im going to contact churchill and see if i can get this resolved
                              hopefully i will talk to someone a bit more understanding
                              if not i will take it to the ombudsman
                              thankyou again for all your help&advice

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X