• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Claims management company

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claims management company

Hi everyone. As a new member I am seeking advice and hope someone can advise me.

Around September 2016 I contacted a Claims Management Company (CMC) to request their services in claiming PPI from a number of companies. One of these was Halifax who I had a mortgage with several years ago. I completed and signed various forms to authorize the CMC to investigate on my behalf. They have managed to secure compensation from some of the companies involved. However, on October 2nd 2017 I received a letter from Halifax stating that they had issued a final response on October 26 2016 that advised me I had six months to refer to the Financial Ombudsman. I never received that letter. At the time the CMC were dealing with these matters and I have kept a text from them stating that my "PPI enquirer against Halifax is now being processed. It will take 8 weeks before we have any information." The text was dated October 4th 2016. When I rang the CMC today they state that there is nothing they or I can do as it is outside the six months timescale. I cannot understand how this can be right! At the time they were dealing with my claim and should have advised me about Halifax decision. I would welcome any suggestions or comments. Thank you in advance
    Tags: None

Re: Claims management company

I would write a formal letter of complaint to the CMC with a view to making a complaint to the Legal Ombudsman and copying it to the Ministry of Justice claims management regulation department. I might also be inclined to send a SAR, but it would help to know which CMC you are dealing with as some can be quite tricky if they sense you are making complaints about them. Have you settled all your commission bills for refunds obtained by them to date?

Do you know that you did have PPI on your mortgage account or was it a stab in the dark prompted by the CMC ? ( Just to see whether it has actually cost you a potential refund )
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thank you for your reply Amethyst. The company is Claim4you. When I spoke to them today they were adamant that there was nothing I could do. They did not appear to believe that I had not had a letter from Halifax. I have paid all their fees to date. I am fairly sure I had a PPI on the mortgage account as I had PPIs on everything else at the time. I cannot find a website for Claim4you so do not know who to write to. I do have an address in Liverpool though.

Comment

The company are going into insolvency so they won't be inclined to sort anything out IMO

See

12 Jul 2017 Notice to Registrar of companies voluntary arrangement taking effect View PDF ( Notice to Registrar of companies voluntary arrangement taking effect - link opens in a new window ) (11 pages)
        Business Name: Claim4You Ltd (Voluntary Arrangement)

Address: KEA Building 1, North Mersey Business Centre Woodward Road, Knowsley Industrial Park, Knowsley Town/City: LIVERPOOL Postcode: L33 7UY County: Merseyside

Trading Names: pleasefreeppicheckme, FreePPIcheckme, PPIbyPost, We Are Happi, bank-refunds.co.uk

Sector: Financial products/services

Authorisation Number: CRM26514
        So you might have to take this one on yourself.

Now Halifax may have written direct to Claim4You as your authorised third party and Claim4You haven't dealt with it.

I think what I'd do is put a formal complaint in to Claim4You - so that you can go to the Legal Ombudsman - tell Claim4You as they have mucked up the claim you are cancelling with them forthwith and do not expect to receive any cancellation charge.

I'd also get a SAR off to Halifax for the information on your mortgage - and withdraw third party authorisation from Claim4You - you need to tell Halifax of that. Then take the claim forward yourself if there is one, using the complaint against Claim4You as evidence for the Financial Ombudsman as to why it is outside the 6 months from the original (negative) final resolution letter from Halifax.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

However, on October 2nd 2017 I received a letter from Halifax stating that they had issued a final response on October 26 2016
          Did halifax send a copy the final response letter (of October 2016) to the CMC at the time?

As Amethyst said, the first thing you must do is make a formal complaint to the CMC. They have 8 weeks to issue a final response and at that point you can take the complaint to the Legal Ombudsman.

One of their published case studies dealt with a similar issue as yours and although the circumstances were slightly different, they upheld it and awarded £250 compensation for 'loss of opportunity' for missing the Financial Ombudsman deadline http://www.legalombudsman.org.uk/wp-...sold-PPI-2.pdf

Comment

Thank you very much for both replies. I am not sure whether or not Halifax sent a letter to The CMC. I will take your advice and will let you know how I get on. Once again thank you.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X