• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Gladstones/ UK car Park Management Ltd court claim. Help please!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gladstones/ UK car Park Management Ltd court claim. Help please!?

Hi,

I have read similar posts but am unsure how to act in my situation. Appreciate any and all help and thank you in advance!

Long story short; i live in block of flats for 2 years+.
    I have had a permit since moving in to my flat which enables me to park in an allocated space in the same building.
    Sometime last year i got a ticket in my car and also noticed my permit had fallen down the side of my car.
    By the the time i got round to responding to the entity chasing me for money at the time, i repeatedly explained that this is a simple misunderstanding as i live on the premises of the car parking spot that i have a permit for and have done so since i moved in. The company enforcing the fine would not listen and were not prepared to cancel the fine.
    Eventually i looked up online and as advised online ignored all letters being sent to me until today i received the below letter from Gladstones Solicitors.

I am unsure the best course of action and what to do? Please note Today is 23/10/2017 and date of letter is 13/10/2018 and i have 30 days to respond.... (20 days because i have only just seen the letter!!)

The letter reads as follows:
    "
    LETTER BEFORE CLAIM

Our client: UK Car Park Management ltd
    Amount Due: £160.00
    Vehicle Reg: "XXX XXXX"

We act on behalf of the Claimant and we have now been instructed to commence legal action against you to recovery the amount due above, as you have failed to settle the debts that are owing, or provide a valid reason for non-payment. We understand that our client has written to you to request payment but the amounts are still outstanding.

PCN Number Date of Charge Location Charge amount
    XXXXX xx/xx/xxxx Xxxxxxxxxx £160.00

The charge amount includes £60 claimed by our Client for its time spent and resource facilitating the recovery of the charge. The amount is a pre-determined and nominal contribution to our Client's losses as a direct result of your non-payment.

In the event the outstanding debt is not paid in full, we are instructed to commence legal proceedings. Our Client is satisfied that it has sufficient evidence to support this claim and, if necessary, will rely on this evidence in court.

If you believe you have a valid reason for non payment, you are able to reply pursuant to Paragraph 4 of the Pre-Action Protocol for Debt Claims under the Civil Procedure Rules 1990 ('The PAP'). A version of the Information Sheet and Reply Form taken from the PAP can be completed on our website www.gladstonesolicitors.co.uk. Before completing the online Reply Form, you must first create a login, for which you will require your reference (xxxxxx.xxxxx). Alternatively, you can request a paper version (see overleaf).

We refer you to Paragraph 2.1(c) of the PAP which obliges the parties to act reasonably and proportionately.

Please pay or reply within 30 days of the date of this letter. Any reply received outside of the 30 day period may not be considered legal proceedings are likely to have been issued.

Your sincerely Gladstones Solicitors
    "
    Tags: None

Re: Gladstones/ UK car Park Management Ltd court claim. Help please!?

Hi, welcome to LB.

As it's residential, what does your lease/tenancy say about parking & 'quiet (or peaceful) enjoyment' of the property?

Could you post up pics of
    The site signage
    The first Notice to Keeper (front & rear, obscure personal details but leave all dates & times visible)
    Windscreen PCN (if applicable)

That Gladstones letter is an attempt by them to adhere to the new debt pre-action protocol.
    Imho it fails....they should enclose a hard copy of the information & reply form, you should not have to do an on-line version or have to request a copy. (I personally don't like those on-line things).
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

As it's residential, what does your lease/tenancy say about parking & 'quiet (or peaceful) enjoyment' of the property?
      I can't find anything in my tenancy agreement that comes close to the above? Where else can i find this out?
      Could you post up pics of
      The site signage Will post pics as soon as back at home!
      The first Notice to Keeper (front & rear, obscure personal details but leave all dates & times visible) I do not have this anymore it was so long ago... sorry!
      Windscreen PCN (if applicable) Same as above

That Gladstones letter is an attempt by them to adhere to the new debt pre-action protocol.
      Imho it fails....they should enclose a hard copy of the information & reply form, you should not have to do an on-line version or have to request a copy. (I personally don't like those on-line things)

What else can i do in the meantime? Any other info that will help is appreciated.

Comment

If it were me I'd write to Gladstones with the following

Dear sirs

Ref [their ref]

Thanks for your recent letter, the contents of which are noted.

I do not 'do' on line forms.

Had I received the hard copy reply form from you per the re-action protocol, I would have ticked box {C or D....up to you...see link below].

In order for me to assess my legal position &/or seek legal advice, I would have also ticked box I (information request) & asked for the following:-
        All the evidence which you would rely on in court to support your claim including (but not limited to)
        A copy of the windscreen PCN.
        A copy of the Notice to Keeper.
        A copy of the contract between your client and the landowner. (If the contract is not directly with the landowner, then copies of all agreements between any & all parties to establish your client's right to enforce the alleged claim).
        A copy of your client's KADOE agreement with the DVLA.

Please respond to this in lieu of of the absent request form.

I agree to pay reasonable copying costs if applicable.

Yours sincerely

[sign]
        [print name]

Something like that.
        Keep a copy & get proof of posting (a free certificate of posting from the Post Office will be fine).

Pre action protocol for reference https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pr...ebt-claims.pdf
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X