• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Accused of shoplifting in asda

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accused of shoplifting in asda

Hi i went into my local asda yesterday with my two daughters (aged 7&3) and while i was shopping i was approached by the security guard who started to question me in the middle of the store about my previous visit to the store the day before, he repeatedly accused me of stealing a bottle of vodka and said he had seen me do so on the stores cctv, there were quite a few people stood around watching him accuse me.

I told him that i do not drink alcohol and i had been in the store but id only purchased cigarettes, he refused to believe me and kept saying that id stolen and he had seen me do so on the cctv, my eldest daughter is autistic and throughout this exchange hid under a shelf nearby as she was confused what was happening which was distressing for me to see cause i couldnt comfort her and tell her everythings ok.

I asked the security guard for the store manager as i wanted to make a formal complaint, he told me he was the acting store manager as the store manager was not in, so i asked him for the contact details of asda’s head office as i wished to make the complaint, he agreed to get it and walked away.

At this point i was almost in tears as i suffer from anxiety and public places are hard enough for me without this event taking place, i made sure my children were ok and then went to the tills to pay for what id picked up since i felt uncomfortable shopping any more, usually i would go to the self serve tills but i felt unable to do so for fear of further accusal so i went to a regular till.

Once id paid for my shopping i walked to the security desk to find the security guy and another staff member watching the cctv, the staff member was telling the security guy that the cctv shows me requesting cigarettes, pay for them and then leave the store, it showed that i didnt go anywhere near alcohol and that i did exactly what id told him i did, the staff member who had served me the previous day then came over and said to the security guard that she had already told him it was a lady with blonde curly hair who had stolen and not me (i have a black bob haircut), the security guard did not apologise to me and said i was ok to go, it seems he had been told prior to accusing me that it wasnt me who had stolen from the store and surely he couldnt of watched the cctv since it showed id done nothing wrong.

Ive spoke to asda’s head office who said they dont take complaints and i would have to contact the stores manager directly as he will need to take the complaint which i have just done.

I have told the store manager that i would like a goodwill gesture as this incident had impacted on my life and i now feel too uncomfortable to go back into the store and it is having a negative impact on my mental health, the store is very close to my home and i will most likely pass the people who witnessed my accusal who will believe im a shoplifter since there not aware i was proven innocent and will most likely talk about me being a shoplifter.

Im worried that i will just get a letter of a quick apology and a £10 gift card as compensation, i dont feel the store manager will take into account that its defamation of character which is against the law, any advice on what i can do to make asda see that how i was treated is an offence and not to be swept under the rug like its nothing, i just feel so heartbroken by this.
    Last edited by Kati; 23rd October 2017, 10:37:AM.
    Tags: None

Re: Accused of shoplifting in asda

A dreadful experience for yoyu.

So Head office don't take complaints??

Write directly to ASDA's CEO (sean.clarke@asda.co.uk.), telling him about your abysmal treatment, both by the store gorilla and head office, and also ask him as HO don't take complaints who accepts service of suit if you decide to bring a claim for defamation of character (not that I would advise such an action!)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X