• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell - Personal Matter Letter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell - Personal Matter Letter

Evening,

Today out of the blue I received a letter from Lowell saying that ‘information provided by credit reference agencies suggests you are our customer’ and ‘contact us to discuss a personal matter’.
    This came as quite a shock and unwanted, I have no idea what this relates to as apart from a bank loan taken a few months ago (still paying it off and haven’t missed a payment) I have no outstanding debt to speak of.
    The letter arrived at my new flat (been here just over a year) and my last name was wrong.
    Im unsure how to interpret this, if this is a phishing letter because I took a loan out and they ran a credit check I don’t want to contact them in case they try to pin a fake debt onto me but I don’t necessarily want to leave this.

Does anyone have any insite into this or have dealt with a similar situation. Thanks to everyone who replies, I will read all responses and reply when I can.
    Tags: None

Re: Lowell - Personal Matter Letter

Hi & welcome to LB

The letter arrived at my new flat (been here just over a year) and my last name was wrong.
    (c)
    the delivery of a postal packet—
    (i)
    at the premises to which it is addressed or redirected, unless they are a post office from which it is to be collected,

(ii)
    to any box or receptacle to which the occupier of those premises has agreed that postal packets addressed to persons at those premises may be delivered, or

(iii)
    to the addressee’s agent or to any other person considered to be authorised to receive the packet,

shall be a delivery to the addressee.
    https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga...26/section/125

7References to service by post.

Where an Act authorises or requires any document to be served by post (whether the expression “serve” or the expression “give” or “send” or any other expression is used) then, unless the contrary intention appears, the service is deemed to be effected by properly addressing, pre-paying and posting a letter containing the document and, unless the contrary is proved, to have been effected at the time at which the letter would be delivered in the ordinary course of post.
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1978/30/section/7

Imho, if it wasn't addressed to you..............
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Thanks for the reply, it’s only one character wrong which has occurred numerous times so I’m not ruling out that it’s just a simple mistake.
      My concern is that I have no idea why I got this letter and I have looked over my old records and can’t find an answer. Would it be logical to assume that because I took a loan out the bank ran credit checks against me which flags my existence up to these people who simply send these letters out to try to hook people or is it something legitimate.

Comment

Have you checked your data on credit ref agency databases?
        Noddle is free.
        https://www.noddle.co.uk/
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Morning,

Thanks for replying, yes I’ve checked two websites for credit checks and nothing has returned on either of them.

Comment

Originally posted by 01mwd View Post
            Would it be logical to assume that because I took a loan out the bank ran credit checks against me which flags my existence up to these people who simply send these letters out to try to hook people.
            No, that can't have been the reason.

Lowell presumably thinks they have bought a debt that may be yours. It may be, it may not be, it may have been your debt but it is so old that it is statute barred... who knows? Unless they have said something specific about the debt, such as the creditor, the type of debt and when it was incurred, you are probably safe to ignore this very vague letter. Wait for some more details.

Do keep an eye on your credit records with all three credit reference agencies though.

Comment

The letter mentions nothing about a debt at all. I’ve done three credit checks and all of them had no negatives. If I do have something it’s so old I can’t remember it. Do you think it’s best to wait for a follow up letter if I get one at all?

Comment

I agree with [MENTION=48934]Debt Camel[/MENTION].
                Ignore unless/until something more specific turns up.
                CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Thank you so much everyone, it’s lifted my mood as I was not prepared to get this.

Comment

Does anyone have any experience with this company or if this is a common thing for companies to do this kind of thing?

Comment

Originally posted by 01mwd View Post
                      Does anyone have any experience with this company or if this is a common thing for companies to do this kind of thing?
                      Hi, as [MENTION=5553]charitynjw[/MENTION] has said wait for the " follow up" letter, hang on to the letter received.
                      If you have no defaulted / delinquent accounts on your credit files it's likely that this is a very old account possibly statute barred.

nem

Comment

Sorry I'm unfamiliar with all this, what does statue barred mean?

Comment

statute of limitations = statute barred

The Limitation Act 1980 sets out the rules on how long a creditor (who you owe money to) has to take certain action against you to recover a debt. The time limits do not apply to all types of recovery action. Also, the time limits are different depending on the type of debt that you have. This fact sheet outlines when you can use the Limitation Act.
                          Limitation periods for debts are important, because if the creditor has run out of time, you may not have to pay the debt ,

That is to say:-- 5 years Scotland or 6 years England/wales if no payment or acknowledgement has been made to the alledged debt.

any more info you need just google the statute
                          of limitations and you will find the info there

Comment

Ok I will give that a look, I can't think of any debt I would have that long ago. I'm not that old so only had a mortgage for a year and no loans etc so I'm treating this letter as a phishing attempt until something more substantial arrives if anything does at all.

Comment

That sounds like a plan.
                              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X