• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Manager implicating me in wrong doing when in fact it was her

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manager implicating me in wrong doing when in fact it was her

Sorry its a long one about 7 months ago my manager asked me to provide managerial cover for another manager who was on long term sick leave. I work for a housing organisation providing supported living for the elderly. I covered the role for 4 months until the permanent manager informed us she wouldn't be returning to work my line manager was then asked to recruit for the position I had been covering. I had received a lot of thanks and recognition from tenants and my line manager for my performance in the role, She even nominated me for a thank you reward from head office which I was awarded. I decided to apply for the now advertised position and informed my line manager. However her reaction was anything but encouraging and her attitude immediately changed towards me. I even toyed with the idea of withdrawing my application due to her obvious negative attitude towatds me and because I knew she would be doing the interviews. But my collegues seemed to think it was more than likely I would get the job I convinced myself I was being paranoid. I know that I interviewed well. It centered around knowledge of the schem which I now knew intimately. However when she called me 2 days later it was to tell me I had not been succesful, when I asked for some feedback she told me the successful candidate had more experience. Disapointed I put it down to experience. When it was anounced internally who had been succesful my fellow managers were shocked to learn that she had appointed her best friend to the role, and although she was an internal candidate she had never worked in that type of role.
    I was shocked. But was immediately approached by a senior manager and asked to apply for another position that had just become available. The only problem was that it was still part time and I really needed a full time role. I applied anyway and was succesful. But as if to add insult to injury the line manager who had selected her best friend asked if I could continue to cover while she trained up the new recruit...I felt used but needed the money so I did it. 2 weeks later I started my shift after being away covering my own scheme and the weekend to be confronted with one of my tenants telling me she had found her son dead in our guest room she described how she had gone to the guest room to look for her son as his son had not been able to get an answer on his father's mobile. She had found the door open and her son dead on the floor. We provide an in house alarm system with hospital type pull cords so that our tenants can call for emergency assistance 24/7 the tenant described how she had attepted to get help but that the pull cord in the guest room wasn't working
    I offered as much comfort as I could to this 84 year old lady ensured she was safe arranged for her gp to visit. Then opened up my emails to find an email from the new recruit which showed that she had known this pull cord wasn't working for 4 day before this mans death. We will never know if the gentleman had attempted to get help using the pull cord.

His old mum had packed up his belongings and cleaned the room. I went to the guest room asking the cleaner to accompany me to test the cord for myself and sure enough the room was clear of all personal belongings. All managers are aware that we have no right of entry when the room is occupied and to avoid inadvertent entry when the guest room is booked out we have a strict 4 point alert system to let evetyone know the room is occupied, everything from office diary entries , a guest room booking form, signage at the entrance to the scheme and on the guest room door and daily email alerts. Yet the new recruit missed all of these and entered the room to carry out the quaterly pull cord test instead of immediately leaving the room as the man wasnt in but all his belongings were she carried out the test anyway when it failed she had a dilema to follow protocol and call in a 4 hour emergency engineer would mean alerting people to the fact she had entered without permission. She called her best friend and line manager who advised her to lock up and just place a non emergency call out attendance within 20 days.
    4 days later the guest suffered a coronary and died and his old mum couldnt get help without leaving him and searching for another pull cord. There was an investigation and the new recruit was suspended tgen reinstated as it was found that her manager had not trained her and had advised what action to take. However the line manager argued and won that our policy only states we should immediately raise a works order but didnt actually state 4 hrs.
    I was still covering the scheme and so was there when the police arrived 2 weeks after the death and said the family of the deceased had not found the £2000 that he had told them on his mobile he had won at the races a couple of days before his death. The police asked if anyone had accessed the room and the line manager said ...no other than engineers and myself after all belongings had been removed by the family and the guest room keys returned. But this was a lie we know that her friend entered the room alone while all the mans things were there.
    I left and although tried to reach out to senior managers I gave in to fear that my job woukd become untenable if local managers involved got to know I was speaking to head office. I put my faith in the coroners office investigation, the family (son a city lawyer ) and the internal investigation.
    A month later nothing happened other than the inclution of ' 4hr call out' appearing on pull cord policy doc.
    But today while working at another scheme I was asked by a manager from a totally different area if my suspension would affect me getting a full time scheme. When I asked why she thought I had ever been suspended she told me my line manager gad openly told a number of managers it was the 'cover ' who had unauthorised entered the guest room and failed to raise the alert.

I'm horrified please help how do i clear my name without loosing my job ?
    Tags: None

Re: Manager implicating me in wrong doing when in fact it was her

Hi
    It must be an awful situation for you to be in but I would try not to jump to conclusions about where that money went.

It is quite possible that the money was spent on bills or something else, even more possible it was gambled away. There are of course other possibilities that someone took it but there seems no proof a particular person took it.

Comment

From what you have said it appears that you have not been formally told you have been suspended. I know it is difficult but until you know officially if you are going to be suspended pending an investigation and what the allegation is you do not know what you are trying to prove.

I know it is hard but you will just have to wait and see whether what you have heard actually does result in some formal action being taken and if this does happen then we can support you in how to put across your side of events.
      If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
      If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thanks so much for your reply. Perhaps I wasn't clear. My discomfort over the missing cash aspect was not that I suspect theft but that my line manager lied by omission to the police investigating officer they asked if anyone had accessed the room (obviously meaning during the guy's stay) and she justified not telling them about her friend accessing the room by saying "they neant since his death"
        Last edited by Hamdam; 22nd October 2017, 05:47:AM. Reason: Typos

Comment

Hi thanks for your kind words but actually my line manager and her friend were thoroughly investigated one of them was susspended but reinstated on a technically. My dilemma is that my line manager is gossiping to other managers telling them it was me that was susspended!

Comment

Originally posted by Hamdam View Post
            my line manager is gossiping to other managers telling them it was me that was susspended!
            Hi,

If you have the strength...

A line manager inappropriately telling lies to staff about your suspension... Get a witness statement, raise a grievance, if not handled well by the firm consider resignation and Constructive Dissmissal through ACAS.

Hell of a road for you to walk, I must say.

Viking

Comment

Are you a member of a union? If not it may be wise to join one now before anything blows up so that you have support and advice in the coming days/weeks etc

Comment

Viking that is one hell of a piece of advice to hand out. It's not just about strength but also practicalities. Can the OP manage with no job.

It is oh so easy to sit here and play with other peoples lives.

Constructive dismissal is likely done through an ET not ACAS

Comment

[QUOTE=warwick65;759326[ It's not just about strength but also practicalities. Can the OP manage with no job.

It is oh so easy to sit here and play with other peoples lives.

Constructive dismissal is likely done through an ET not ACAS[/QUOTE]

Hi,

In their interest of helping the OP, maybe I should have listed the Strengths she would need: I didn't mean just emotional strength. Yes, financial strength, friends and family, tenacity too, the employability factor too is a strength. Some people really can leave and get another job but wouldn't want to "give up" and feel the employer had "won".

Re ACAS; no one can go to an ET directly. First you register with ACAS for Early Concilliation which might help the OP to resolve this without recourse to the Tribunal, but of course as Warwick65 points out, you would have had to take the huge leap of resigning first (though maybe to a new job; wouldn't preclude the right to take the previous employer to an ET).

Finally Warwick65, clearly you care about the people we "help" here:- I do and some visitors like my direct style. I'll try to work out how to put a "NOT Legal Advice" line at the bottom of my posts then people can be advised to check out the comments with ACAS or a Solicitor.

Hamdam, for the record; do you blindly follow the postings? If so I will certainly take that on board and ensure I don't cause harm in future. Please respond.

Viking

Comment

Thanks Viking
                    I feel your right and regardless of what I do there is more at play here than I at first thought. The usual procedure within this organisation would be for me to bring my grievance to the attention to my line manager however as she is the one I have a grievance against my next step would be the district manager however they are very close friends in and out of work so this week I emailed them simultaniously telling them I needed to meet with them both I gave a very brief outline of my grievence. my DM manager is on holiday this week, my line manager asked if we could meet. I explained that I wouldn't speak with her regarding this without a witness. I decided to email the Regional Manager and sent a detailed account of what had happened she had told me I have to give my DM the opportunity to resolve things between us. She asked for my permission to pass on the details to my DM I emailed her back thanked her for her time but did not give her permission to pass on my detailed email. She then emailed me and said she had forwarded my email to my DM anyway. So next week I will meet with them I'm dreading it as they are thick as thieves best pals out of work and she is my DM's right hand man in work. I will look at how to join ACAS ,my employers dont recognise any trade union but Im sure their support will prove invaluable.
                    For the record I value a shoot from the hip post that speaks plainly I wouldnt blindly follow advice without checking out my options and forums for me are my way of seeking wise councel from many as the larger the number of councelors the better the chances of finding some wisdom.
                    Anyway for what its worth I needed bullet point type advice/comment
                    Thanks

Comment

Hi thanks for your comnents. Its a very stressful situation and to be honest I think that although financially I cant affotd to be out of work I dont have a choice my employment is already untenable as I have lost all trust in my managers ability to manage me. She has prooven that she is happy to discredit me. And in the eyes of my collegues I am now viewed as a liability and unless I breach confidentiality I have no way of exonerating myself. So I guess constructive dismisal is my only option.
                      Last edited by Hamdam; 26th October 2017, 22:36:PM. Reason: Typos

Comment

It might help you to have a colleague or union official accompany you to the meeting. Then you have support and an independent witness.

Comment

Also, it might be worth considering putting in writing before the meeting your objection to the fact that your email was passed on despite you not giving your permission, Always good to have as much as possible recorded in writing. Also useful to have the meeting either recorded or someone with you who can take notes, as well as being a witness.

Comment

Hambam

Just for your records
                            ACAS are the advice, conciliation and arbitration service - they are not a trade union and can not be 'joined' in the same way

There role is to try and arbitrate between two sides and yes they are an essential step if you wish to issue a claim at an ET

Of course any advice they give you will usually be based on what you tell them and there are usually two perspectives (at least) in any dispute

Comment

Thanks for that i always thought ACAS was a trade union.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X