• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Harassment and wrongful dismissal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harassment and wrongful dismissal?

Hi

I was recently fired for sending a contractor some wrong information. My employer said that this amounted to gross misconduct and fired me on the spot. They did not carry out an investigation or give me a warning nor did they tell me that I could appeal. Because it was gross misconduct, they said that I was not entitled to my notice pay of two months.

During my employment, I was also subject to several comments from my boss who made fun of my hair colour and suggested that it made me stupid. He also made hurtful comments about my hair colour on several different occasions. I am wondering whether this is harassment?

I am at a loose end really and not sure how to proceed from here. I spoke to someone who works for ACAS and she said she was unsure about the harassment incident. Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks, Sophia.
    Tags: None

Re: Harassment and wrongful dismissal?

Tagging [MENTION=51026]Ula[/MENTION] [MENTION=26290]mariefab[/MENTION]
    PLEASE NOTE: I work irregular hours including nights and sleep in shifts. If I have not responded in 48 hours, please ask an admin to Messenger me!

"If you ever feel alone, remember, I am just the other side of the rainbow, or just south of the North Star. Whichever is closer." - A.J Murphy. 17/3/1974 - 16/03/1997 (RIP babe <3)

Comment

Sorry to hear about your situation. Just one question I need to ask is how long were you employed at the company? Unfortunately, if you have less than 2 years’ service, you can be (fairly) dismissed without youremployer giving any reason at all.

Did you raise the issue about the comments made by your boss at the time they happened and how long ago did they happen?

What type of wrong information did you give the contractor - was it sensitive information?

In regard to your dismissal for gross misconduct if they are following a fair process then you should be given the right of appeal and certainly if you had more than 2 years service they should have informed you of this right. In regard to your notice period unfortunately dismissal for gross misconduct does allow an employer not to pay notice.
      If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
      If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi. I was employed for four years.

The contractor was given some information by mistake. I asked my colleague to print out information in an email and put it in an envelope. It would then be signed off by me. Unfortunately, in the email was a letter from my manager who made some unsavoury remarks about the contractor. This was attached in the printouts. It was an honest, albeit careless, mistake. It is such a stupid mistake. As soon as I became aware of what happened, I informed my manager but then I was sacked for gross misconduct. I had never had a warning prior to then and always received good feedback in appraisals.

The comments were made on several occasions. I did not make any comment and couldn't tell my manager as it was him that was making the remarks. On several occasions, he made disparaging remarks about blonde women and always told them in my company. He even made a comment to me in rage on one occasion and called me a stupid blonde b****. My colleagues found this funny, however, I did not.

I was not informed of a right to appeal. I was called in for a discussion with my manager who then dismissed me on the spot. He sent me a letter a few days later confirming it. That was it. No information about an investigation or whether I could appeal.

ACAS did mention the possibility of wrongful dismissal.

Sophia

Comment

Before you were called in for a discussion with your manager had you been:

1. formally invited in writing to the meeting with it being described as a disciplinary meeting,
          2. provided full details of the allegations,
          3. provided any documentary evidence that they were going to rely on in the meeting,
          4. given the right to be accompanied,
          5. informed of the possible outcome of the meeting i.e. dismissal due to gross misconduct?

Following your dismissal did you get a letter detailing the outcome of the "meeting"? I know you were not told you had the right to appeal but just need to know what they did tell you.

Depending in the answers you provide then I believe that ACAS may well be right.
          If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
          If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Nothing was really said at the time. the next day I was called into the office to say I was going to be sacked. I was given no warning or indication of a disciplinary procedure. He said that because he thought this was gross misconduct that I was dismissed immediately. He then followed this up with a letter. The letter was simply confirmation of termination for gross dismissal. It did not say anything about an appeal or that the decision was made following a disciplinary process. Even if they can prove that my conduct was gross misconduct, does this mean that I cannot claim? THis doesn't seem fair and is all very stressful for me.

I got an email from ACAS who said that because I had a pay in lieu of notice clause, that I may be able to claim wrongful dismissal as well as unfair dismissal because it is unlikely that my conduct was gross misconduct. They also said on the phone that it may be possible to claim for harassment on the grounds of sex because of the comments about me and women in general. Tried looking for information online but not sure.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X