• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Paternity leave question - can employer change leave date without notice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paternity leave question - can employer change leave date without notice?

Hi there,

Just a recent issue that cropped up and found this forum looking for advice online.

My wife was due later this month and had arranged paternity leave about 2 weeks after the birth (planned around family availability to help, so I would be home for 2 weeks when help was most needed). This was approved my my line manager and HR.

What happened recently is due to health issues related to the pregnancy, my wife was rushed into hospital a few days ago meaning I've missed work Monday and Tuesday to be with her in hospital (she and baby are both fine now, but c section for birth a couple of weeks early planned Wed/Thursday now).

My work emailed me at the end of the working day to say my paternity leave will now begin once baby is born (like 5 weeks earlier than planned) - is this something they are allowed to do on extremely short notice, and do I have to agree to this?

My job is on a rota of 2 weeks work, then 2 weeks off, so if I start the paternity leave early I am forced into taking paternity leave in time I already have off (apart from the days I missed this week, usual time off was about to begin).

I want to tell them I would like to keep my original planned paternity dates, but don't know if I'm within my rights to do so. Did want to call acas or something, but got in late from hospital tonight.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - super stressed right now! Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Paternity leave question - can employer change leave date without notice?

Firstly congratulations.

Most company's understand that the arrival of a baby is not an exact science and in any case I assume they were aware that you has not planned to take your paternity leave immediately after the birth but a few weeks later. Paternity leave can be taken from immediately after the birth but must end within 56 days of the birth. This means that so long as your intended return date from your planned paternity leave is within 56 days of the now planned date of the c. section there should not be any reason to change your dates.

The issue for the company may be how you are going to cover the time you are off currently - sorry I cannot work out whether you are currently in a 2 week off period in which case no issue or a 2 week on period in which case that may be an issue of the company does not have a policy to cover such a situation.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi Ula, thank you very much for the reply ��

What you say is reassuring. The original dates are still within 56 days of the birth (about 11 hours ago!).
      If I were to take paternity leave today, then 11 of the 14 days paternity leave would fall in my regular off time (effectively meaning I would lose 11 days of paternity leave) cover was arranged pretty quickly for the time I've missed.

IT didn't seem right they decided for me my paternity dates were changed (without asking me).

Thanks again ��

Comment

You became a daddy 11 hours ago?

CONGRATULATIONS! Delighted for you!

Please send my love to your wife, and accept MASSIVE hugs from me!

<3

Callie
        PLEASE NOTE: I work irregular hours including nights and sleep in shifts. If I have not responded in 48 hours, please ask an admin to Messenger me!

"If you ever feel alone, remember, I am just the other side of the rainbow, or just south of the North Star. Whichever is closer." - A.J Murphy. 17/3/1974 - 16/03/1997 (RIP babe <3)

Comment

Congratulations. Hope mother and baby are doing well.
          If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
          If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X