• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Letter before action

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter before action

Hi everyone first time posting here and I would like some advice. I purchased a car mid June this year that was advertised with full service history. When the car was delivered there was no service history to be found. Luckily I saved the advertisement. I played phone tennis for 6 weeks and they told me it was lost. I told them I was unhappy and that I would go to trading standards. Then I was told again it did exist! More delays, no service history.

I have been driving the car very little as I don't want to keep the car if it has no history. During the 500 miles or so driven I have now also had an engine management light come on. I took it to the garage and they said it is probably the timing chain which is a very pricey repair.

I have contacted trading standards and they said they'd investigate. Over 2 weeks ago I received an email from their solicitors saying a serviced history had been found and was being sent to me and that the car could not be rejected on ECU fault codes alone.

I have yet to receive this history and have had no replies from the solicitors to it's ETA. I have a letter before action written and ready for the service history issue. Shall I wait or send this now? Should I get a full report from a mechanic and reject the car instead? I'm just worried that I'm being delayed more and that I'll lose my consumer rights if the purchase date gets over 6 months.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Letter before action

Reject it NOW so that you have put a marker in the sand. I believe that the clock will stop until it is resolved.

Comment

The mechanic said the engine would have to come apart to check the chain and would be costly. Although the P11A8 and P000A fault codes I've googled point to the timing chain.

This is what their solicitor wrote:

'With reference to your alleged timing chain issue (that has not yet been proven)
      please provide evidence there is a fault. Our client instructs that the EML illuminating
      would not indicate an issue with the timing chain.'

Comment

The EML illuminating is a problem that they need to resolve. Quote the error codes that your mechanic gave you at them and ask what it means. Even better would be a report from your mechanic.

Was the original problem, the lack of service history, reported within the 30 days?

Comment

Hello yes the original problem was reported in the first week but this was done over the phone.

Comment

So you could tell then that as the problem was reported within the first 30 days and the clock stops until they resolve and they have still not resolved it them you are rejecting the vehicle in its entirety. Please make arrangements to collect the car and return all money paid.

Comment

But can you reject a car for having a missing service history? If so I will change my letter before action and send it out straight away.

Thanks

Comment

Don't do the LBA yet, You bought the car on the understanding there was a full service history. This has not been supplied. Goods not as described. The current bit with the timing chain is goods not of merchantable quality. Have a good read of the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Comment

I've gone through the sale of goods act and the consumer rights act. I've have quoted these in various emails but have mainly been ignored. If I do send out a LBA shall I bring both these issues into it?

Comment

The Sale of Goods Act is dead in these circumstances which is probably why they ignored it and laughed at you. Did you tell them various sections that you are using to reject the goods?

Comment

Yes I put in the sections and this is when I had a reply. I guess a mechanics report and moving to reject is going to be the best way to go.

Comment

So have they handled your first complaint successfully? If not then you are still in the 30 days.

Comment

No but my first compliant was about the service history where I quoted the sales of goods act. I thought 30 days only applied to rejecting a car on a mechanical fault?

Comment

No you can reject on not as described, ie there was no service history. Petty I know but they advertised it and haven't been able to supply despite being being a reasonable time to correct.

Sale of goods would have handled this but CRA superceded.

Comment

I have an update! I've been emailed a one page word document with name, address of mechanic, date, repairs made and the mileage at the time. Does this count as a service history?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X