• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Nans inheritance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nans inheritance

my nan passed away recently and her wish was that I received a quarter share of her will ,although I was not stated on her will ,this was due to the fact that I have sisters she didn't want to upset ,although they hadn't spoken for years . Anyhow I did everything for nan when she could no longer do anything for herself ,I was very close to nan . It was decided between her 2 sons ,before her passing I would receive my mum's share of her will ( mum passed away before nan in 2004 ) Only one granddaughter was named on the will , her eldest sons daughter .Meaning that out of 5 grandchildren nan had myself and my 3 sisters and my uncles daughter ,just the uncles daughter was named on the will . I know a previous will was wrote ,but it was replaced with a new one . I dont know what was on the previous will and cant find no copy of it ,just a receipt of payment made . My uncle did give me a quarter of nans will as stated by nan in her wish , Since the settlement of nan's will of her savings . My query now is that 2 years ago nan was involved in a medical negligence claim , which has not yet `100% been settled ,although an offer was made by the NHS ,but uncle declined the offer , he was executor of her will ,and also has done all the emailing back and fro the the nhs ,and now with a no win no fees solicitor.It was explained to me that this settlement would be distributed as part of nans estate . I believed this meant between 4 of us .But other day Uncle stated hes taking £2000 admin fees for all work hes done on case ie emails,telephone calls ,petrol expenses back and for top hospital when nan was in after she needed an op due to medical negligence . I also visited nan almost daily ,took her to appointments ,Went along to meetings about the medical negligence I was given a cheque by my uncle and some cash regarding nans wish for me to have a quarter .But now uncle is saying hes splitting the medical negligence claim between him and his brother .His brother although will only receive a smaller amount due to him taking what he calls admin fees and expenses .I asked about my cousin and he stated she didnt want anything , but I know this wont be the case .I feel out of respect of nans wish thats out of principal he should split this 4 ways . Its hurt me . Any advise please
    Tags: None

Re: Nans inheritance

Hi UKnanny17,
    So was there actually a Will? If I understand correctly it seems you say the Will left everything to one family member? Can you confirm what the Will actually said about distributing the estate.
    There are a number of points that you raise and once you have expanded a bit more on why the Will says hopefully we can deal with them
    I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Peridot View Post
      Hi UKnanny17,
      So was there actually a Will? If I understand correctly it seems you say the Will left everything to one family member? Can you confirm what the Will actually said about distributing the estate.
      There are a number of points that you raise and once you have expanded a bit more on why the Will says hopefully we can deal with them
      Hi .Thank you for your reply .Yes there was a will . The will left to her 2 sons and my cousin ( one of her son's daughter ) ,nan did not add my name in will as I am one of 4 sisters ,the other 3 she didnt talk to,but didnt want to cause animosity by adding me ,but stated to me ,my uncles that she wanted me to have a quarter of the money left ,which I did after probate was sorted .. But there was also and unsettled medical negligence claim in which my uncle is dealing with .They have offered £10000 so far ,Uncle now saying he will split it between him and his brother . But he will take larger share to cover his expenses and time

Comment

He is now leaving me out of this settlement .I know I am not stated on the will ,but nans wish was for me to have my deceased mums share ,the quarter of the will . I believed this settlement would also have to be distributed as part of her assets

Comment

Hi UKnanny17,
          Unfortunately as you are not mentioned in the Will you have no rights to demand any of the payment, despite your nan’s wishes. It would be necessary for all the residuary beneficiaries to agree to amend the will retrospectively in effect to enable any sum to you. You could try speaking to the executor and see if he would be willing to discuss this with the residuary beneficiaries but he is under no obligation to do so I’m afraid. Maybe get a free half hour with a lawyer to talk through the situation to clarify matters in your own mind.
          I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X