Thread: Civil Enforcement LTD Court Claim - Parking

• Display

Mentions
    0 Post(s)

Default Civil Enforcement LTD Court Claim - Parking

Hi - I was wondering if you could possibly help me? I have recently recieved a court claim from Civil Enforcement LTD for what i can only assume as an unpaid parking ticket (although the the claim form has no particulars).

Although the reference date under the particulars of claim is stated as 2015, i have ignored any previous communication (naively, and partly due to not living at the address - parents address). There is no particulars stated on the claim form other than a claimant reference.

How do i proceed? I have made an acknowledgment of service today with the intention of making a defence also. Only issue is, due to the age of the ticket, and no longer actually living at that address i have no information from CEL. They do go on to say they will send me me detailed particulars in 14 days.

Can you suggest what my next steps are? My father and I were both insured on the car at the time so i couldn't even say 100% if i was driving, does this make any difference etc? Reading through the thread i seem to think it depends etc

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
    Craig

VIP Member

Mentions
    551 Post(s)

Default Re: Civil Enforcement LTD Court Claim - Parking

Hi & welcome to LB.

Clearly you have to wait for service of the Particulars, but there are a few preliminary things worth mentioning.

If Particulars are served separately to the claim form, the Claimant must file a certificate of service (form N215) at the court within 14 days of service. It is a fairly detailed form, & is supported by a signed statement of truth.
    CEL might not know this.
    They also need to serve their particulars on you within the 14 days as stated.

In issuing a claim, the court would expect the Claimant to exercise due diligence in making reasonable efforts to ascertain the correct current address for service, particularly if it relates to an incident which occurred some time ago. People move house.

Btw, it is wise both in any forum posts & in any correspondence (to courts, Claimant, solicitors etc) not to reveal the ID of the driver at the time of the parking incident.
    To do so could lose you potential technical defence arguments.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "
    Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick