Thread: Child Benefit Overpayment

• Display

Mentions
    0 Post(s)

Default Child Benefit Overpayment

Hi please can anyone offer any advice. Yesterday my husband received a letter from the tax office stating that we owed just under 3 thousand pound in child benefit as we had been over payed since 2014 ! My husband had done overtime which bumped his annual earnings to just over 50 thousand pounds . We didn't k ow anything about self assessment and assumed (wrongly) that because we both pay tax they would know what our earning are. We tried to explain if they knew how much our salaries are why have they continued to over pay the benefit for 3 years. They said it's up to us to inform them but they clearly have all the figures. Is there anything we can do ? How can we pay it we don't have the money . It seems unfair. Any advice greatly received.

VIP Member

Mentions
    485 Post(s)

Default Re: Child Benefit Overpayment

Hi and welcome.
    Assuming you don't dispute the overpayment, haven't HMRC told you how the repayment should take place.
    See here; https://www.gov.uk/tax-credits-overp...ur-tax-credits

Mentions
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by des8 View Post
    Hi and welcome.
    Assuming you don't dispute the overpayment, haven't HMRC told you how the repayment should take place.
    See here; https://www.gov.uk/tax-credits-overp...ur-tax-credits
    It's not tax credit it's the old family allowance . They want it in a lump sum!

VIP Member

Mentions
    485 Post(s)

Mentions
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by des8 View Post
    Thanks
    I can't believe they have let us accumulate this debt when we both pay tax and they have all our information. Could we appeal it ? I'm out of my depth here don't know what to do. What grounds for appeal have I got? Probably none they are saying we didn't fill a self assessment form we knew nothing about it. Funny how they can work out we have been overpaid but not stop the over payment happening when they had access to the information all the time.

VIP Member

Mentions
    485 Post(s)

you can only appeal following a mandatory reconsideration.

You really need to check their figures first.
    If you think they are incorrect you can request a mandatory reconsideration, and explain where you think their error lies.
    If that goes against you, you can then appeal.

A good site for this sort of thing: https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-g...are-my-options

Mentions
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Anna View Post
    Thanks
    I can't believe they have let us accumulate this debt when we both pay tax and they have all our information. Could we appeal it ? I'm out of my depth here don't know what to do. What grounds for appeal have I got? Probably none they are saying we didn't fill a self assessment form we knew nothing about it. Funny how they can work out we have been overpaid but not stop the over payment happening when they had access to the information all the time.

Hi Jo Anna,

How did you get on in the end? I’ve just received a similar letter ☹️ Have no idea how we will pay it back so any advice would appreciate. Many thanks

Site Owner

Mentions
    1846 Post(s)

Child Benefit would be reduced as you earn over £50,099 and removed completely at £60k I believe. I looked online but couldn't figure out if there is still a joint earnings max earnings of £90k or not ( I'm sure that was what was reported in the press when it was introduced, but can only now find reference to the £50k individual earnings )

How many children / ages etc ? There is a calculator on the gov.uk website to work out reductions due to earnings etc ( again doesn't mention the £90k so I feel I might have imagined it)
    “We may not win by protesting, but if we don’t protest we will lose. If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.” Hetty Bower

Any advice I provide is given without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Find Solicitors offering fixed fees on our sister site - JustBeagle.com