• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Littering - Fixed Penalty Notice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Littering - Fixed Penalty Notice

I received a letter from my local council informing me that an illegal deposit of cardboard bearing my name and address had been found next to a recycling receptacle where after a review the most appropriate form of action would be a fixed penalty notice of £75. To best describe how it was left, imagine two smaller (4 wheeled) bins designated for plastic bottles and food tins (according to the photo), next to it is a larger, static container which I presume is for cardboard. There is a sign which states 'Keep recycling centre tidy' and 'This area is under CCTV surveillance' followed by miscellaneous information as well as a small notice at the bottom stating 'Persons leaving waste alongside banks at this recycling centre are guilty of flytipping or littering', this sign is 1/3 covered (from the top) by a bush(s). "My" cardboard is then seen to be located in an erect cardboard box next to the static container.

Firstly, on the letter their is a phone number. Me personally, I use Facebook and Email I do not even have a contract so I went out of my way to obtain Skype Credit which I used on 4 occasions to contact the respective number for their to be no answer, finally this morning I got through.. I informed the person I was talking to I would be recording the call and if that was ok, I then proceeded to inform him I had not illegally disposed of any waste where he immediately cut me up and stated;

"Under XXX of XXX it is your duty of care to dispose of any waste, it is your responsibility"

I then stated to him, fair enough so...

1. I could right now print off a bunch of shipping labels with your name and address (obtained via public information, *gave him his name and address*), stick them to a bunch of box's then dump them all over my local area to go ahead and report you for said littering.

No response.

2. On second thought, how about this.. You had a piece of expensive computer equipment security stamped with your name and address, you then gave that to a charity shop years down the line when you no longer needed it. Somebody purchased it from the charity shop, realised it was a piece of garbage and did the same, dumped it next to a receptacle at a recycling centre.. Would that be your responsibility?

No response..

I then said, what would happen if Mr XXX (me) was disabled, blind, in a wheelchair, under the age of 10 or somewhat physically unable to put that cardboard into that receptacle but still wanted to do their bit for the community and attempt to get off his arse and recycle.

I do, sincerely apologise that my waste had been left their, I understand that if everybody did indeed leave their waste as mine appeared to of been left, the centre would look like a shit hole. Fair dues, even though this is 100% irrelevant I honestly think it was left by whoever left it responsibly and unintentionally. I then stated, which is the gods honest trust I did not, dispose of my waste at this recycling centre, truthfully and honestly. As far as I am aware Littering is a criminal offence, I was not committed said offence so why have I been issued with a Fixed Penalty Notice when you have made specific attempt at taking a photograph for evidence, of a sign stating this area is under CCTV surveillance. I know for a 100% fact, if you checked that CCTV I would not be on it, nor have I ever been to that recycling center, ever.. I can barely manage to keep my room tidy, nevermind walk to a recycling center, ill be honest with you and this sounds very ignorant but I could not give a rats ass about recycling, that's the truth and im not going to sit here and pretend im running for the noble peace prize.

Again, this was followed by... 'Its your waste, its your responsibility'..

Now...

- The waste which had my name on it was 2 cardboard boxes, one from Amazon and one from Zalando. The Zalando box had a pair of shoes ordered on the 1st July, the Amazon was ordered shortly before or after which contained sun-cream, DEET spray, a rechargeable battery and a box of condoms which were all being used for my holiday to Thailand which I went on around July 8th and came back towards the end. Bare in mind I received the original FPN on the 7th September. I know for a damn fact, I ripped up both static box's into flat strips and placed them into the bin in a shared garden between 3 houses from what I can remember, this is backed up by the fact that the image clearly shows, the box's torn down into flat strips obviously I did that so it would fit into the bin without taking up lots of room? I mean, logic.. Most people do that.. Most people take labels of box's, obviously I was forgetful and did not do that.

- I do not know who took my waste to that recycling centre.

- After requesting him to check the CCTV he stated 'the area does not have CCTV' and 'it doesn't matter anyway'.

I am now tasked with emailing some other dude, to give him I guess my appeal. I am politely requesting some advice on realistically what I should do.. I have no reason to lie, I did not dispose of that waste and I can only sincerely insinuate that fact. Am I responsible for that waste? Regardless of if I originally disposed of it correctly.

My up most gratitude in advance to anybody who can assist me.
    Last edited by IDontLitter; 3rd October 2017, 10:52:AM.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X