• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Wild goose chase for statutory declaration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wild goose chase for statutory declaration

Can somebody please tell me how I go about getting a statutory declaration for a TV licensing fine? Do I need to get form from my local magistrates court or do I need to see a solicitor? Thanks.
    Tags: None

Re: Wild goose chase for statutory declaration

You need to explain more about this.

Comment

Apparently I was fined at court for not having a TV licence? I did not know anything about this until the bailiffs (Marston's) turned up at the door, basically I am on personal independence payment they came to my mums house where I don't even live anymore and told me they were going to take whatever they could from my mums address, I had to borrow £530 to pay them off to stop them from getting a lock smith to enter my mums address who is also disabled. I have been advised by the court it was issued that I need to get a statutory declaration at my local magistrates court? I went to my local magistrates court today which is no longer there, so I am lost and don't know what to do??

Comment

That sounds like the normal way this happens.

Do you have any recollection of being visited by a TV Licence Agent & more importantly did you actually live at the premises visited? Do you know what address was on the Warrant they had?

From the amount given it sounds as if the actual fine was £220. I gather you have not received the any notification of being taken to Court. No notification of how much you were fined. No Further Steps Notice from the Court about non payment or arrears. Have you seen a Notice of Enforcement from the Bailiffs.

Comment

Yes I do remember the TV man visiting but at the time I had a sick dog and it was a bit manic, I felt pressurised and also didn't understand what live tv was? Now I realise I didnt actually need a licence? Nothing was explained to me and I was worried of the dog being I'll! When the bailiffs arrived my mum had to call me to come to her address as I was not living there. The bailiffs said that it was my mums address on the warrant but we did not see anything at all, and have not received anything at all from the court either informing of a fine or any areas. We did not see notice of enforcement either.

Comment

OK, just trying to establish you are not going to commit perjury. You are going to have to find out which Court was listed on the Warrant as the chances are they have just traced you without due regard to the address on the Warrant. As a note they can only seize the goods of the debtor so a lot of what you were told was bunkum.

The problem you seem to have is trying to find the Court concerned if you say your local one has closed down. Without prying can you give a general idea of the area you are in. You could try asking Marstons but I imagine they will treat this as being part of a Subject Access Request and want £10 for doing so. Time is of the essence as you only have 21 days from being made aware to submitting a SD.

Comment

Thanks for your help I am in the Kingston upon Thames area and was told by the bailiffs the court who issued the fine was Stratford? I did say to the bailiffs "why was it heard at Strafford", but I'm not sure if its already been 21 days? We had to wait for an appointment with C.A.B then had problems ringing courts and TV licence people to try to find out info! �� which all took sometime. Date they came was 11/09/17.

Comment

If it was Stratford then their details are:
                https://courttribunalfinder.service....istrates-court

It also tells you their Admin is dealt with at Thames:
                https://courttribunalfinder.service....istrates-court

On the receipt you have been given for the payment does it list a Reference No?

Your area appears to come under South West for Admin reasons at Lavender Hill:
                https://courttribunalfinder.service....code=kt1%202dt

Comment

Yes it does have a reference no. On receipt. Should I go to one of the courts or how do I actually get the form thank you so much ��

Comment

Originally posted by Snooki64 View Post
                    Yes it does have a reference no. On receipt. Should I go to one of the courts or how do I actually get the form thank you so much ��
                    You don't need a form, contact the Court and tell them you have only just found out about this fine - if the 21 days are nearly up then you need to tell them you have only found out about the 21 day rule in the last few days. Tell them you paid under protest as the Bailiff was threatening to force entry to your mums house and as you knew nothing about the fine previously you would like to make a Stat Dec about this. You may have to make a plea even if guilty but you need to maintain you were never given an opportunity for a means test. You should then be allowed to make this plea possibly at a Court local to you and the Declaration forwarded on.

Comment

Thank you so much for your help, I will go to the court on Monday to get this done ��

Comment

Keep us updated on what happens.

Comment

Hi just an update for you plodderton, we went to court today regarding the TV licence and we are very confused! The lady asked if she wanted to plead guilty or not guilty? When I said we thought we were there for a statutory declaration they said that had been dealt with and its gone back to the beginning? We were told if we pleaded guilty it could be dealt with today at Wimbledon magistrates, but if we were to plead not guilty the case needed to be transfered to Stratford magistrates, well we pleaded not guilty as were not sure what we were pleading guilty or not guilty too? Got a date for Stratford magistrates on 21st November?

Comment

Hi Snookie,

My partner is in a similar position with regards to having received a unknown conviction for TV licence fine, and Marstons now being involved.

The advice here is to never ever go in person to the court regarding the statutory declaration:
                            http://www.dealingwithbailiffs.co.uk...s-Bailiffs.htm

What happened in the end for you?

Comment

Originally posted by LadyMuck View Post
                              Hi Snookie,

My partner is in a similar position with regards to having received a unknown conviction for TV licence fine, and Marstons now being involved.

The advice here is to never ever go in person to the court regarding the statutory declaration:
                              http://www.dealingwithbailiffs.co.uk...s-Bailiffs.htm

What happened in the end for you?
                              I would take anything from that site with a pinch of salt - a large one at that. Plenty of members there been saddled with large costs orders for following there advice. Even the site owner lost recently and needs to find £26k to pay his costs.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Snooki64 View Post
                              Hi just an update for you plodderton, we went to court today regarding the TV licence and we are very confused! The lady asked if she wanted to plead guilty or not guilty? When I said we thought we were there for a statutory declaration they said that had been dealt with and its gone back to the beginning? We were told if we pleaded guilty it could be dealt with today at Wimbledon magistrates, but if we were to plead not guilty the case needed to be transfered to Stratford magistrates, well we pleaded not guilty as were not sure what we were pleading guilty or not guilty too? Got a date for Stratford magistrates on 21st November?
                              Sorry I missed this somehow. How did you get on?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X