• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bought used car help.still finding faults

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought used car help.still finding faults

I just bought a used car from a car dealer on 27 July 2017 .it's 2004 model.After 3 weeks I found a fault with the car so I took it back to the dealer and they fixed it.5 weeks later I have found a fault on the car door locking system.passenger side door will not unlock with key fob.but will unlock from the inside only.so I have to get in the driver's side before I can unlock the passenger side.i took it back and they said they will have a look.they said they didn't have a curtesy car for me .so I told them I needed the car back in the afternoon.because I'm self employed and needed the car..I fetched the car later that afternoon and they told me they had found as fault with the mechanism on the door lock and they would ring me when they had ordered the part they needed and would fix it.but also said that all cars break when you take them home .and that it was working when I bought it on the day..I have waited for nearly a week now and they haven't rang me .it's been over 30 days so I can't ask for my money back..where do I go from here and what rights do I have?
    Tags: None

Re: Bought used car help.still finding faults

Hi and welcome
    Well you can still reject the car and obtain a refund upto 6 months after date of purchase.
    This is your final right to reject under the provisions of CRA2015.
    As it is now past the first thirty days the trader can reduce the refund to take into account usage.
    Any faults discovered which are the reason for the refund are deemed to have been present when the vehicle was purchased.
    As you are exercising your final right to reject, the trader has the right to attempt a repair, which must be done within a reasonable time.
    From what you say it seems you are entitled to contact the trader and tell them that as they have failed to repair the fault ,you are exercising your final right to reject the vehicle
    and require a refund.
    They should arrange collection of the vehicle at their expense.

On the other hand, if you are otherwise happy with the car, you could negotiate a price reduction with the trader, and have the lock repaired elsewhere.

There may be other routes to obtain your refund.
    How did you pay for the car: cash/finance/credit card/debit card?

Comment

Hi and thanks for the reply .I have contacted head office and they have got my car in to be fixed..Are you saying that I have up to six months ? So if anything else goes wrong with the car I can say that I have rights and for them to repair it..thanks again

Comment

If your vehicle shows a fault between the end of the first thirty days after purchase and the end of the next five months it is deemed that the fault was present when the vehicle was purchased.
        During that period the trader has the right to attempt one repair of that fault.
        If the fault is not repaired or it is unsatisfactory, the consumer may reject the vehicle and obtain a refund of the purchase price less a deduction for usage.
        Whilst the vehicle is being repaired the clock is stopped, and that time is added to the five months.
        So if a further fault appears, yes, you have rights

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X