• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court Claim - CABOT FINANCIAL (UK) / CAPITAL ONE - 15-9-2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Court Claim - CABOT FINANCIAL (UK) / CAPITAL ONE - 15-9-2017

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
    ooo which bits ? although I only noticed s78 and s87 stated in the long defence
    Para 13

13. I respectfully request that this Court consider whether the relevant Police Authorities be enjoined to these proceedings and/or invited to investigate a possible criminal offence by the Claimant contrary to the Consumer Credit Act 1974, S21, S39 and S40, occasioned by the Claimant seeking to unlawfully act as a debt collector by commencing these proceedings, and having reference to 11. above.

Comment

Ahhhh, didn't notice that CCA reference, I was still falling over at the joining the Police Authorities into the claim, but yes it's shifted over to the FSMA.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
        Ahhhh, didn't notice that CCA reference, I was still falling over at the joining the Police Authorities into the claim, but yes it's shifted over to the FSMA.
        Hi, do you mean falling over laughing? ha ha.

Update.

Submitted the Defence to the Court.
        Received a letter from Cabot (still Europe) acknowledging they are out of time regarding not providing the credit agreement, so it is 'temporarily unenforceable.'
        Received a letter from Drydensfairfax saying the account has been placed on a temporary hold while they contact their client with details of my partner's query.
        Will wait until end of 28 days. If they discontinue, my partner will apply for costs under Rules & Practice Directions, Part 38.6 (1). Don't you just love 38.7? To be found at: https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pr...l/rules/part38
        Thank you all,
        FF
        xx

Comment

Originally posted by FaithForever View Post
          Will wait until end of 28 days. If they discontinue, my partner will apply for costs under Rules & Practice Directions, Part 38.6 (1). Don't you just love 38.7? To be found at: https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pr...l/rules/part38
          Which is why they will possibly wait until after allocation to SCT before discontinuing.
          CPR PD 46 7.1(2)
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
          gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Or they may not discontinue at all and just leave it stayed for however long it takes to produce a recon of the agreement.

Comment

Originally posted by warwick65 View Post
              Or they may not discontinue at all and just leave it stayed for however long it takes to produce a recon of the agreement.
              46.7? Pro bono representation?

Cabot would have to explain to the Judge why they want the stay lifted, and pay a fee, yes?

Perhaps - an Unless Order if it's accepted by a Judge (SCC - not CPR 31??).

Perhaps - Summary Judgment as Claimant has failed to prove their case.

And the account was & is statute Barred, and Ombudsman's Decision not complied with.

If Cabot & Drydens do decide to continue, then complaints to FCA and SRA will follow.

But I believe an N244 would have had to be completed before the deadline of his defence, and that has passed.

Comment

46.7? Pro bono representation?
                No.

The Practice Direction. (PD)
                https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pr...-special-cases
                CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

From my understanding they often make an ex parte applications to lift stays - I think you would then have a very limited time to object to that or , you could of course continue with the hearing.

It may be they leave the claim stayed, you do then have the opportunity to have the claim struck out, however it seems that claims made too quickly tend to fail so it is about making applications at appropriate time.

However, all this is academic at the moment because they may file a DQ and proceed with the claim or just let it become stayed.

Comment

Hello everyone,

Are you all getting ready for Christmas?

I thought I'd send you an update.

We received a letter from Drydens offering a "50% settlement to conclude the proceedings. Offer only valid for 14 days and will expire on 17th November." Funny that, 17th Nov is 33 days from the day the Defence was accepted by MCOL.

We have not received any of the requested docs, plus we sent them an SB letter, quoting, "A firm must not continue to demand payment from a customer after the customer has stated that he will not be paying the debt because it is statute barred."

Seems like death throes to me.
                    Best wishes
                    FF
                    xx

Comment

Any more news [MENTION=107312]FaithForever[/MENTION] ?
                      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Hi Amethyst,

Yes. Absolutely. I have been checking, and I checked again today. Cabot's month for replying to the Defence was up on 18.11.2017, and we have heard nothing. I was expecting the Court to put something on the MCOL site to say that the case is stayed, but there is nothing new showing. So, it's all good news.

I suppose now - wait for a while and ask for it to be struck out.

Thank you everybody.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, I always used to donate to that other site, but does this site accept donations?

Comment

Yes indeed, if they haven't replied to the court to say they want to proceed the case will be put on stay ( nothing will show on MCOL ) - and it is normally wise to leave it for a month before making any application to strike to account for court backlog. There's an unless order application example here http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...order-at-court which makes a good starting point. Many people do just leave the claim stayed - probably cause of the cost of the application, and it carrying a risk of costs being added to the debt if they come up with documents etc, but in some circumstances( a good defence) I think it's preferable to ask to strike it out so it can't just pop back up in two years when they bother to find documents.

Bless you, you can upgrade to VIP which goes towards the running of the forum ( see sidebar >>>> )
                          #staysafestayhome

Comment

Sorry, I was side-tracked by dinner. I made a VIP payment.
                            Thanks again.
                            FF
                            xx

Comment

Hi,
                              Well today my other half got a letter from Cabots saying,

"Welcome Back to Cabots. Your account was with our solicitors but we have decided not to pursue legal action on your account at this time. Your balance still needs to be paid, and we would like to help you to do this by providing you with some options. Monthly plan Discount. We need to hear in the next 30 days."

This, despite our sending them a Statute Barred letter and their having failed with their court case. They are brazen!

Oh, and we think they are back to phoning him several times a day!

Has anybody heard of them doing this before?
                              FF xx

Comment

Have they actually discontinued or just said it's back with them? If they haven't discontinued they haven't technically failed with the court case and could apply to lift the stay at some point but you will know that anyway.

Having said that it does sound good news

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X