• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Insurance company

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance company

Hello
    im thinking of trying to claim compensation from my insurance company and im just wondering how hard will it be
    hope someone can help thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Insurance company

Hi and welcome

Without having any details it is nigh on impossible to ascertain how hard it will be.
    Post up your problem and the advice will be forthcoming.

Comment

Hi thanks
      my problem is my mother took out boiler cover with her home insurance company (churchill) this cover was extra
      5weeks ago her heating &hot water stopped working and churchill sent in a pluming company to fix it unfortunately they they made the problem worse by doing some rewiring and then couldn't figure out how to fix it after 13 phone calls and two more repair teams nobody can fix it and its looking like she will have to put in a new boiler at a cost of over £2000
      can she claim this back in compensation?
      thanks for any help

Comment

From the little details you give the answer is "yes".
        The Insurance company are responsible for what their agents do.
        Assuming the agents (the plumbers) have caused the damage which can't be repaired the insurers should cover it.
        If it means a new boiler it may be that they can make a deduction for "betterment" .

Comment

The insurance company have now offered £250 towards a new boiler
          but i dont think thats a fair amount as my mother is still without heat or hot water after 5 weeks shes 70 and suffers with arthritis im thinking we are going to have to put a new boiler in and then try and claim the cost back from the insurance company

Comment

Without knowing exactly what has happened and what the policy wording says we cannot be certain of the position.

In principle tho' if the plumbers exacerbated the problem (and you might have to prove that in court) your mother will have a case against them.
            You need to obtain an independent engineers report confirming the damage done by Churchill's plumbers.

Certainly proceed with replacing the boiler.
            Even if you are successful in increasing the insurers's contribution, you don't want the delay at this time of the year.

Rather than going via court it might be worth making a complaint to the ombudsman http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/
            It is free, and whilst his decision is binding on the insurers , it is not on the consumer.
            So if you disagree with his decision you can still initiate court action, (the stress of which you may wish to avoid viewing your mothers age)

Comment

I knew working for an outsourcer would help one day.

I happened to spy this as I left my work place for the final time today

https://www.britishgas.co.uk/home-se...w-boilers.html

hope it helps love!
              PLEASE NOTE: I work irregular hours including nights and sleep in shifts. If I have not responded in 48 hours, please ask an admin to Messenger me!

"If you ever feel alone, remember, I am just the other side of the rainbow, or just south of the North Star. Whichever is closer." - A.J Murphy. 17/3/1974 - 16/03/1997 (RIP babe <3)

Comment

Hi thanks
                i called out my own independent plumbing company
                and he seams to have fixed the issue he said it was only a faulty programmer and couldn't understand why the other repair team didnt work it out he has also pointed out all the bad work that they left exposed live wires loose caseing on the boiler amongst other things
                so i have decided to ask churchill for compensation for all the upset they caused my mother im hoping they are reasonable about it as i dont think my mother would be up to going to court

Comment

Well done and glad to hear it is fixed for your mother.
                  I would actually send Churchill a copy of your plumber's invoice with a "polite" request they pay it as they should have fixed the problem.

Good luck with seeking a goodwill payment from Churchill, and don't forget to remind them you have saved them their "generous" £250 contribution towards a new boiler

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X