• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Small claims info

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small claims info

@Diana M @nemesis45 @Amethyst

Hello, someone threatened to make a claim against me a while ago. Since then I have changed address and apparently, all ny mail going to previous address is getting returned to the sender. How can I go about checking if in fact someone has put a claim in (without me having received any letters from the court) ?

Regards,
    Kiwi
    Last edited by Kati; 21st September 2017, 15:03:PM. Reason: two threads merged xx
    Tags: None

Re: Small claims info

Hi, you can call the Northampton County Court Business Centre and enquire with them, contact details.

They should be able to search name and post code I would have thought, is the "someone" an individual or a company chasing a debt?
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Thank you for the swift response. It's probably a law firm acting on behalf of an individual. Why do you ask, is there anything you would like me to take into consideration ?

Thanks,
      Kiwi

Originally posted by jaguarsuk View Post
      Hi, you can call the Northampton County Court Business Centre and enquire with them, contact details.

They should be able to search name and post code I would have thought, is the "someone" an individual or a company chasing a debt?

Comment

A lot of individuals threaten court, actually taking action is another story. However, if they have instructed a solicitor to write to you previously then the likelihood is they're prepared to follow through.

How much are we talking? What is it over? And why aren't you paying?
        COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi2016 View Post
          someone threatened to make a claim against me a while ago. Since then I have changed address and apparently, all ny mail going to previous address is getting returned to the sender. How can I go about checking if in fact someone has put a claim in (without me having received any letters from the court) ?
          I don't think there is a way you can check. You'd need a claim reference number if you called NCCBC so it's Catch 22.

MCOL is only one way to issue a court claim, there are other ways.

If a claim has already been issued and you've not responded then you may have got a Default Judgment (CCJ). You can check for that on the Trust Online website entering your previous address but there's a fee for this so you won't want to do it too often > https://www.trustonline.org.uk/search-yourself

Do you still have a connection with your previous address which is why you know correspondence is being sent back 'Return to Sender'?

Di

Comment

I haven't actually seen any letters from a law firm. I wonder if they were returned to sender (if at all they did write to me at the old address). I did get an email from the person threatening action and mentioning the name of a legal firm. The original amount may be just under 2k (but more if there is a legal firm involved I assume). What are thoughts ?
            Last edited by Kiwi2016; 27th September 2017, 15:43:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X