• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Restons and court judgement?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restons and court judgement?

Restons took a 14 year old debt to the county court a month ago, I sent in my defence and the court said restons had until last Saturday to give the evidence I asked for but I haven't heard anything from either. What should I do wait until someone contacts me or contact them?
    Tags: None

Re: Restons and court judgement?

Hi

The courts are often behind with their paperwork, so you might not hear anything for a couple of weeks.

I assume you defended as statute barred?
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

the court said restons had until last Saturday to give the evidence I asked for
      Was this by way of an order with a sanction attached ( eg. Claimant must file and serve x, y and z by 4pm 16th Sept 2017 else their claim shall stand struck out )

or just the 28 day period for the claimant to respond to your defence?
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
        Was this by way of an order with a sanction attached ( eg. Claimant must file and serve x, y and z by 4pm 16th Sept 2017 else their claim shall stand struck out )

or just the 28 day period for the claimant to respond to your defence?
        just the 28 days to reply to my defence

Comment

Ah shame. In that case if they don't respond to the court then it is likely to get stayed, and as jaguarsuk said they may have a backlog so give it a couple weeks, contact court and ask current status of the claim, then you can consider applying to strike the claim out based on the lack of evidence/documents. ( also means no they haven't been ordered to provide documents - the court won't actually have read the claim or defence as yet )
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

When you say a 14 year old debt do you mean one that has not been paid or acknowledged for 14 years or something like a credit card that was opened 14 years ago.

It is all well and good us suggesting what may happen next but that will depend on the exact stage you are at.

You received a claim, acknowledged and lodged a defence . Is this the stage you are at with the court saying the claimants have 28 days to respond or is it further along

It seems you are at the 28 days to respond stage in which case if they do not the claim will be stayed

If you did it online you can check the progress by logging onto MCOL

Comment

Originally posted by warwick65 View Post
              When you say a 14 year old debt do you mean one that has not been paid or acknowledged for 14 years or something like a credit card that was opened 14 years ago.

It is all well and good us suggesting what may happen next but that will depend on the exact stage you are at.

You received a claim, acknowledged and lodged a defence . Is this the stage you are at with the court saying the claimants have 28 days to respond or is it further along

It seems you are at the 28 days to respond stage in which case if they do not the claim will be stayed

If you did it online you can check the progress by logging onto MCOL
              Hi it was a debt that was apparently taken out 14 years ago but I don't have any acknowledgement of this debt, therefore I asked for my signature and proof it is actually mine.

I received a letter from the court after sending my defence in saying they had 28 days to reply but I've heard nothing the letter was dated 15th Aug

Comment

Sounds like it may well be stayed then.

If , after a reasonable time you can request a strike out but it would be better to write asking them to discontinue first ( in a few months) Not easy i know.

Is it a big debt ( I ask because they are more likely to follow through with larger debts even when defended)

Depending on what your defence was I would expect Restons to try and threaten you with an application to strike your defence out but that can be dealt with if and when

Comment

Originally posted by warwick65 View Post
                  Sounds like it may well be stayed then.

If , after a reasonable time you can request a strike out but it would be better to write asking them to discontinue first ( in a few months) Not easy i know.

Is it a big debt ( I ask because they are more likely to follow through with larger debts even when defended)

Depending on what your defence was I would expect Restons to try and threaten you with an application to strike your defence out but that can be dealt with if and when
                  the debt is £879

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X