• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Stressful letter from Housing Association

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stressful letter from Housing Association

Good Afternoon, I just looking for some advise on the wording of this letter I have received from our Housing Association. We haven't been contacted by either the HA or the Company they have instructed to carry out the inspection. I don't have a problem with the inspection as it is in our interests, I am just upset by the wording of the letter and that they have quoted the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, when I have never refused access for them to do any required work. This letter has arrived at a time where we are already stressed by my Wife's Mother passing away and an incident involving my Brother and a few other things that built up regarding wife Care. Am I being over sensitive regarding this? Thank You

Dear Resident/Occupier,

ELECTRICAL SAFETY INSPECTION AND TEST APPOINTMENT,

As you have failed to respond to our contractor's (******) attempts to contact you to arrange an appointment to carry out an essential electrical safety inspection of your home, an appointment has been booked for you.

Section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, requires you to give ******* access to your home by giving you a minimum of 48 hours notice of the appointment.

Appointment date: Wednesday 4 October 2017

Please do not ignore this letter. Your inaction could have serious consequences. If this appointment is not convenient, you are instructed to telephone ******* immediately and re-book the works to be completed.

Telephone: ***** *** ***
    Your sincerely
    CYCLICAL SERVICE MANAGER
    Tel No. **** *** ****
    Last edited by OotOs; 16th September 2017, 13:25:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Stressful letter from Housing Association

Originally posted by OotOs View Post
    Good Afternoon, I just looking for some advise on the wording of this letter I have received from our Housing Association. We haven't been contacted by either the HA or the Company they have instructed to carry out the inspection. I don't have a problem with the inspection as it is in our interests, I am just upset by the wording of the letter and that they have quoted the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, when I have never refused access for them to do any required work. This letter has arrived at a time where we are already stressed by my Wife's Mother passing away and an incident involving my Brother and a few other things that built up regarding wife Care. Am I being over sensitive regarding this? Thank You

Dear Resident/Occupier,

ELECTRICAL SAFETY INSPECTION AND TEST APPOINTMENT,

As you have failed to respond to our contractor's (******) attempts to contact you to arrange an appointment to carry out an essential electrical safety inspection of your home, an appointment has been booked for you.

Section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, requires you to give ******* access to your home by giving you a minimum of 48 hours notice of the appointment.

Appointment date: Wednesday 4 October 2017

Please do not ignore this letter. Your inaction could have serious consequences. If this appointment is not convenient, you are instructed to telephone ******* immediately and re-book the works to be completed.

Telephone: ***** *** ***
    Your sincerely
    CYCLICAL SERVICE MANAGER
    Tel No. **** *** ****

hi if noone helpped yet.. i only go by my experince sorry , spelling not great, if one has illness or disabitliy, key words, by these companies are used ,,,, to add unlawful due stress, did do me,, i had you write to head of hosuing management ie home group ltd inuk, to make clear, i require time date to meet my needs before, more each time now,,, so, under duress only i allow on full id, entry to ie gas check ,or, elec check...im still delaing with others arreas, yet these IT produced letters are not helpful in its wording,,, if write both to head of housing and the company contracts manager to agree time date meets your needs, ones not denie entry, hope this helps..

Comment

I think that your current circumstances are making you overly sensitive to the way the letter is worded. That is totally understandable. It is also possible that the inspection team just knocked the door and moved on.

They have quoted the Landlord Tenant act because they are legally bound to use that wording to cover themselves in the case of any accident arising between issuing the letter and the works being carried out. I think you will also find that it is a standard letter template and not personally directed at you.

Please contact your Housing Association and calmly explain that you have not had any prior communication from them or their agent regarding arranging for the testing to be done. Also explain that you are currently dealing with a recent bereavement and that it may be possible that you may have been out when they called on spec.

If the appointment they have made is inconvenient, I think you might find that they then fall over themselves to accommodate you at a time that is convenient to you.

Comment

Thank You for your help on this, it turned out that it was sent in error. I received an apology from the Electrical Safety Company but no acknowledgement from the housing association who made the error. The appointment never went ahead anyway.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X