• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Restons / Arrow Global Ltd / HFC Bank Ltd

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restons / Arrow Global Ltd / HFC Bank Ltd

A very good afternoon to you all. I have visited the forums a number of times before, courtesy of Google results. There is a lot of very good advice and information here. I'd like to start by saying a big "Thank you" for that!

I've recently ignored some communications from Arrow Global Ltd, then Restons Solicitors. The former appeared out of the woodwork a couple of months ago, chasing an alleged outstanding amount of £324.58 and inviting me to make payment. I genuinely did not recognise anything about their claim - although I was familiar with Arrow themselves, having crossed swords with them in the past (an entirely separate issue, long since resolved). I treated their next letter the same, then proceeded to ignore two from Restons. I really did not think they would be silly enough to take the matter to court.

Lo and behold, an unfriendly looking brown envelope arrived, today, with a Northampton P.O. Box return address. Yes, they have been silly enough to do it.

In hindsight, I probably should have (at least) sent them a GFM (go forth and multiply) letter, stating that they were chasing ghosts and requesting some sort of proof to the contrary. But we're past that now - and it probably would not have made any difference, based on what my research about this duo indicates.

From the claim form: "The claimant claims payment of the overdue balance due from the Defendant under a contract between the Defendant and HFC Bank Limited dated on or about May 13 2009 and assigned to the Claimant on Nov 30 2015".

All news to me. The first I heard from Arrow Global Ltd was a couple of months ago!

The particulars of the claim included:
    Date: 04/08/2017
    Default Balance: £324.58

Default? I think I'd know about that!

I didn't want to enter into a protracted process, or use delay tactics. So, I filed a defence via MCOL today. The 'in a nutshell' version:

I do not recognise anything about the claim
    No evidence has been provided to me by the claimant
    I keep financial and related correspondence records going back 7 years - and they shed no light on it
    I have checked my credit files - they show no trace of it (no default, no mention of HFC, or Arrow Global)

I stated I had no choice but to conclude either:
    1. The claimant has made an error
    2. Any dealings with HFC Bank Ltd that may have taken place did so a long time ago

On the basis that I cannot find any relevant correspondence, I could not have made any payment towards or acknowledgement of any outstanding amount within the last 6 years. I therefore defend my position on the basis that the alleged debt would be statute barred. I added a note stating that I truly believe that no debt actually exists.

And now, having provided some background, your thoughts, please:

Was it a bad decision to ignore Arrow/Restons? (I truly thought they were talking BS and their reputations preceded them)
    Should I have acknowledged service, asked for time to prepare a defence and requested information/proof from the claimant?
    Was it wise to defend based on what I believe to be an absolute defence (i.e. statute barred)?
    What do you think Restons will do next?

Any other thoughts/advice will be gratefully received.
    Tags: None

Re: Restons / Arrow Global Ltd / HFC Bank Ltd

I think you already know I'm just going to ask if you have sent a CCA request to the claimant. Was this a credit card with HFC ? Anything else on your credit file around the same amount ( HFC don't exist since 2013 - they mostly went to HSBC ) - the only concern really is if you are incorrect about it being defaulted before August 2011 you haven't got a lot to fall back on and may face having to amend along the line.

I think even though you have defended I'd get a CCA request over to Arrow.
    I'd also get a request for the DN and assignment notice ( if mentioned in the particulars of claim) over to Restons.

Restons next, probably write to you and invite you to withdraw your defence because it's not SB ( regardless of whether it is or not ) ... but just have to wait and see for that.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi
      You said the claim date was 4th August and you entered your defence today (15th September)

Are those dates correct and did you acknowledge the claim in the meantime?

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
        I think you already know I'm just going to ask if you have sent a CCA request to the claimant. Was this a credit card with HFC ? Anything else on your credit file around the same amount ( HFC don't exist since 2013 - they mostly went to HSBC ) - the only concern really is if you are incorrect about it being defaulted before August 2011 you haven't got a lot to fall back on and may face having to amend along the line.

I think even though you have defended I'd get a CCA request over to Arrow.
        I'd also get a request for the DN and assignment notice ( if mentioned in the particulars of claim) over to Restons.

Restons next, probably write to you and invite you to withdraw your defence because it's not SB ( regardless of whether it is or not ) ... but just have to wait and see for that.
        Thanks Amethyst.

i haven't sent a CCA request. I suppose I could - I really begrudge giving them my time, to be honest. I wish I could make them pay for it.

The problem is I don't know what it's supposed to be for! They've not said. It's all very vague - even down to the date they've given, where they've said 'on or about'.

I can tell you it wasn't a credit card, though: I've never had one from HFC Bank - or any other HFC product, for that matter. And there's nothing on the credit files that even remotely looks as though it might be connected. It's bizarre.

if Restons do invite me to withdraw my defence, I shall probably invite them to go to hell!

Comment

Hi warwick65,

No - the date of the claim is 13/09/17. I filed a defence today.

The August date is given in the claim particulars. It literally just says "Date: 04/0817" - it gives no indication as to the significance of that date.

Comment

It'd take you ten minutes and might make a difference later on ( well 10 mins if you are one of those rare people who still have a cheque book - otherwise it's a post office trip to get a postal order (ughh) )

HFC ran cards for a few people - Beneficial - Currys - PC World etc

Warwick - the claim arrived today
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks for the reply
              Just checking

Restons are Imo the most duplicitous of all solicitors, a crown I am sure they wear with pride.

Sending a cca request really will take such a small amount of time and effort you would be ill advised not to send one.

Didn't HFC do a lot of store cards and the like

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                It'd take you ten minutes and might make a difference later on ( well 10 mins if you are one of those rare people who still have a cheque book - otherwise it's a post office trip to get a postal order (ughh) )

HFC ran cards for a few people - Beneficial - Currys - PC World etc

Warwick - the claim arrived today
                You know what? I think I have got a cheque book! It's probably unused - if I can even find it...

I suppose a CCA request can't hurt. But surely they'll be shooting themselves in both feet if they admit they don't have one, given that they've already initiated court proceedings? Because - unless I'm mistaken - that would be tantamount to saying "We knew it wasn't enforceable, but we thought we'd waste everyone's time anyway." The court would love that.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by warwick65 View Post
                Thanks for the reply
                Just checking

Restons are Imo the most duplicitous of all solicitors, a crown I am sure they wear with pride.

Sending a cca request really will take such a small amount of time and effort you would be ill advised not to send one.

Didn't HFC do a lot of store cards and the like
                Thank you. Yes, they do seem to have quite the reputation.

I think I'll go ahead and send the request.

I don't know about store cards - I've never had one.

Comment

Sorry slow typing and small screen. Crossed posts

Comment

Originally posted by OneMoreRound View Post
                    I suppose a CCA request can't hurt. But surely they'll be shooting themselves in both feet if they admit they don't have one, given that they've already initiated court proceedings? Because - unless I'm mistaken - that would be tantamount to saying "We knew it wasn't enforceable, but we thought we'd waste everyone's time anyway." The court would love that. -

The CCA Request may be what you need to defeat this claim. Don't assume they can't produce a credit agreement or reconstitute one.

I sense you think it's audacious of Arrow to have issued a claim but nevertheless it is a court claim and you must treat it as such.

You say (and appear to have pleaded in your Defence) that you don't recognise the debt (you think the claim has been made in error) and therefore believe it must be Statute Barred (unless I've misunderstood your stance).

The court may take the view that a debt can only be Statute Barred if it existed in the first place and has not been paid or acknowledged in the six years prior to the claim being issued.

You can't have it both ways (if you follow my logic).

You also say (in your paraphrased Defence) that "No evidence has been provided to me by the Claimant". So what evidence have you asked them for and how did you ask for it?

You say in post #1 that you've ignored all correspondence from both Arrow (the Claimant) and Restons (their instructed solicitors) so who rejected your request to provide evidence?

I've recently ignored some communications from Arrow Global Ltd, then Restons Solicitors. . . . . .

. . . . . I treated their next letter the same, then proceeded to ignore two from Restons. I really did not think they would be silly enough to take the matter to court.

In hindsight, I probably should have (at least) sent them a GFM (go forth and multiply) letter, stating that they were chasing ghosts and requesting some sort of proof to the contrary.

. . . .
                    Was it a bad decision to ignore Arrow/Restons?

I think you need to send Restons solicitors a CPR 31.14 Request pronto.

Di

Comment

Thank you, Di.

I do follow your logic. As vexatious as I consider Arrow/Restons' actions to be, I am taking this seriously.

About 12 years ago, we went through a very rough patch, financially. We got through it. Some damage was done to our credit ratings at the time. Since then, we have had the occasional 'chancer' chasing old debts from that period. Some we ignored. Others we engaged with, challenging them to show that the debts were enforceable (they were not). This is the first time we have encountered one we have no recollection of.

The rationale behind my choice of defence was this: surely, in order to be successful, the claimant will have to prove

1 That there is a debt for which I am liable
                      and
                      2. That it is not statue barred

The reason I focused on the latter and presented it as my primary defence is because it is an absolute defence, as far as I am aware. Although I am as sure as I can be that I/we don't owe this money to anyone, I wanted to guard against the possibility that it is one of those old debts - as they would certainly be statute barred.

Re: CPR 31.14 - isn't that something I should have done before submitting a defence? Would it still be relevant at this stage? I ask, as I genuinely don't know.

Comment

Thank you, Di. I do follow your logic . . .

Re: CPR 31.14 - isn't that something I should have done before submitting a defence? Would it still be relevant at this stage? I ask, as I genuinely don't know.
                        Yes. Yes and Yes again

Send the CPR 31.14 Request to Restons solicitors first thing tomorrow morning by Royal Mail Recorded Delivery.

At the same time send the CCA Request to Arrow with a copy to Restons solicitors.

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
                          Yes. Yes and Yes again

Send the CPR 31.14 Request to Restons solicitors first thing tomorrow morning by Royal Mail Recorded Delivery.

At the same time send the CCA Request to Arrow with a copy to Restons solicitors.

Di
                          Thanks again, Di.

It wasn't possible to get into the post office over the weekend, so I have sent both items off today, by 1st class recorded delivery.

And now, the waiting game.

Comment

Just be aware that Restons will probably write back saying you should have these and you haven't denied this and you missed the payment off. Don't take it personally - they do it to everyone

Comment

Originally posted by warwick65 View Post
                              Just be aware that Restons will probably write back saying you should have these and you haven't denied this and you missed the payment off. Don't take it personally - they do it to everyone
                              Yes, I've seen other threads saying that very thing. What payment would that be, though?

I am expecting Arrow Global to fail to produce a CCA. That should stall things, shouldn't it?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X