Thread: Prescriptions fines

• Display

Mentions
    0 Post(s)

Default Prescriptions fines

I work but am very low paid (average £39 per week) so am entitled to free prescriptions. Earlier this year my mum became really ill so spent a lot of my time looking after her, sadly she died in May, during that time my HC2 certificate needed renewing because of all that was going on and the fact I had no reminder from them to say it needed renewing it wasn't renewed. Now I'm getting letters demanding £88 and there will be more to come, I literally cannot afford these bills. Can anyone tell me if I can do anything or if not, what the consequences of not paying will be?
    Last edited by Jacob 543; 14th September 2017 at 11:08:AM. Reason: Missed words

VIP Member

Mentions
    5 Post(s)

Default Re: Prescriptions fines

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob 543 View Post
    I work but am very low paid (average £39 per week) so am entitled to free prescriptions. Earlier this year my mum became really ill so spent a lot of my time looking after her, sadly she died in May, during that time my HC2 certificate needed renewing because of all that was going on and the fact I had no reminder from them to say it needed renewing it wasn't renewed. Now I'm getting letters demanding £88 and there will be more to come, I literally cannot afford these bills. Can anyone tell me if I can do anything or if not, what the consequences of not paying will be?
    Ignoring the letters aren't going to make this go away. Write back to them, apologise you haven't contacted them sooner and explain everything, let them know it was a genuine mistake and enclose a copy of your mums death certificate to show them you're genuine. Ask that they cancel the charges and how you go about registering your HC2 certificate again.
    My posts on this forum are offered based on my experience dealing with a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training and if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact the CAB. If you follow anything I write on this forum you do so at your own risk and I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other out comes.

VIP Member

Mentions
    109 Post(s)

Default Re: Prescriptions fines

Have you applied for a new HC2? If not get that in asap

As your income is so low, are you on any means tested benefits which would passport you to free prescriptions

Quite honestly i would maybe have a chat with CAB - you can contact their helpline on the phone I think before you do anything

Sometimes there is such a thing as being too honest too quickly although I am not suggesting you try to ignore anything or lie
    Any advice or opinions I offer are based on my experience dealing with personal debt as well as other life events.
    I have no formal legal training
    Any advice is offered without liability
    If in doubt take professional legal advice or contact the CAB

Mentions
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs up Re: Prescriptions fines

Quote Originally Posted by jaguarsuk View Post
    Ignoring the letters aren't going to make this go away. Write back to them, apologise you haven't contacted them sooner and explain everything, let them know it was a genuine mistake and enclose a copy of your mums death certificate to show them you're genuine. Ask that they cancel the charges and how you go about registering your HC2 certificate again.
    Thanks I will give that a go