• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mums House after she passes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mums House after she passes

Having recently split up from a long term relationship, I have moved back in to my mums house, for various reasons. There is no financial commitment between myself and x.

I pay her "rent" to run the house, and have made a contribution towards her expenses for quite some time prior to moving back in, because I am nice! In the several hundreds of £ per month region.

She is 66 retired but in great health, so this is not trying to avoid imminent liabilities. This is not my main concern. Over the last few months the situation is ok for both of us an works well.

My concern is if this becomes long term will my residency here affect any calculations for care home fees. What I don't want to happen is to effectively subsidies her now and be kicked out by the council should she need care in 10 years. For clarity the house is privately owned and I would think be valued at £800k or so.

Sorry if this is a little rambling and perhaps unclear, I am trying to give all the info!

I am more than prepared to take paid advice, but am unsure where to turn. Would a local solicitor help, if there is anything they can help with?

thanks in advance for any help.
    Tags: None

Re: Mums House after she passes

Hi and welcome.
    The regulations regarding the disregard of a house are under Para 2(b) (ii) of Schedule 4 to the National Assistance (assessment of Resources) Regulations 1992)
    The salient section for you regarding disregard 4. Any premises occupied in whole or in part by—
    (a)
    a partner or relative of any member of the family where that person is aged 60 or over or is incapacitated;.
    A recent case ended in the Court of Appeal where it was held that occupation meant living in the premises as a main home

Comment

Thanks des8 I am in my 30s so this is some way off. I have quite an erratic schedule with work, and sometimes spend several months at a time abroad. The nature of my employment means this is never likely to change.

Would there be any advantage in transferring ownership to me whilst I am registered living there? Or even her gifting a % via a tenancy in common?

Comment

The problem for you and your mother is that if the local authority suspect there has been deliberate deprivation of assets there is no time limit on how far back they can investigate.
        Under the NHS and Community Care Act 1990 their investigation is limited to 6 months, but councils now tend to use insolvency laws.

If you use a financial adviser to resolve this question, the council could ask for the notes taken at any such meeting to ascertain the reason for the changes.
        They will then refuse to contribute to care home funding until the "notional capital" has been used up

I think you should consider obtaining GOOD professional advice.

Comment

Hi, sorry for slow response, I have been away.

Where do I get GOOD advice? I take it a high street solicitor is not the place and google seems to throw up what seems more like scams...

Comment

tagging [MENTION=87380]Diana M[/MENTION] & [MENTION=85500]Peridot[/MENTION] to see if they have any ideas.

You may find a solicitor on our sister site https://justbeagle.com/

Comment

Hi
              There are many very good 'high st' solicitors for example the one my mother used after Dad died is part of a small chain ( about 4 sites) and my OH also used the same firm for a leasehold extension. Of course there are also the large firms such as shakespeare martineau (other large firms are available) with many offices and highly skilled partners but the price you pay to see say the wills/probate/trusts and planning senior partner will be very much more expensive.

Remember as well, if you see a solicitor from an established firm, they will be covered by liability insurance

On the + side your mum has a lot going for her, she is female and without being rude, probably not short of a bob or two - two things that statistically lead to a longer life so you may well be 60 . My mum is 80 and is quite likely to outlive me ! although I hope not as i couldn't bear to contemplate the pain it would cause her.

Remember as well- and for this you would need proper financial advice- there are easy ways to get capital for older people from their property although there are also some scams around, hence I say sound financial advice.

Sorry if that is just general wishy washy advice , if you live in Cheshire I would be happy to give the name of the firm my Mum used.

- - - Updated - - -

There is also http://www.sra.org.uk/consumers/usin...solicitor.page

- - - Updated - - -

And http://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

Comment

Hi Nikolarse,
                As everyone has said your mother (and you) need to get some good advice from a local solicitor. This is not an unusual, novel or complicated situation so any local solicitor with a property and wills department should be able to assist you. I would say do not be lured into thinking there are trusts and other vehicles that you can utilise in a Will, to protect assets from inclusion in an care fee assessment. This is not helping people currently where Local Authorities are 'looking behind' arrangements in Wills. The same goes where whole properties have been signed over to children and is not advisable.

You both need advice on how best to hold the property, but this is ultimately your mother's decision. Transferring the whole house to you leaves your mother vulnerable. I'm not for a minute suggesting anything untoward but remember anyone who legally owns property and has difficulties eg divorce or bankruptcy then the property, or their share of the property is at risk, as well as the reasons to do with intentional deprivation of care fees etc raised above.

Your mother needs advice on this independently of you. It will be for her to decide what is best to do. As I say not a technically difficult situation so local high street solicitors firms can assist you. Ask around friends/neighbours who have used solicitors in your locality for recommendations.
                I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

Thanks people, sorry for the sporadic replies, I have been in the middle east a lot over the last few weeks.

I have an appointment with a well respected local firm.

Thanks Warwick65, we are on the South Coast.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X