• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

House Repossession

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House Repossession

I have had my house repossessed by Satander while I was away looking after my dementia suffering Mum 250 miles away. I suffer from depression, stress and anxiety and have had a run in with the bank of mortgage arrears of £1000. On benefits, I took them to the Financial Ombudsman. I am confused by details at the best of times and how much benefits paid or didn't toward mortgage bewildered me. I won on under Duty of Care. Was awarded a stipend which went t paying off the arrears.

I had sold the house - or so I thought - but was let down by a conveyancer. I had already booked the removal company and risked losing the deposit. Something I could not afford. They took most of the furniture. I was cleaning up the house, having left a full garage of rare comic books and my father's toolbox etc., a cupboard full of coats, a kitchen full of pots - some still on the draining board, a computer and discs, et al. The estate agent informed me they could easily re-sell. I had a phone call which informed me my Mum, who I knew I had dementia, had badly burnt herself.

The family looking after her had let me down.

I ran to her side, with just a sports bag and a couple of shirts. I stayed. Care was 24/7. I did not expect to stay 18 months. I did not inform the bank and in an ideal world I should. Care was immersive. Care was draining and debilitating. I tried to kill myself in April. I had not even informed the doctor of my address. I did not think it would be this long or involved.

In the meantime, I had arranged for a company to clean the house, another (who let me down) to trim hedges and bushes, I had posted an advert on Bark. I was trying to arrange a house sale from distance.

I did not know the house had been re-possessed until Taylor Rose contacted me this week. Last week I had received a letter from DWP announcing they were asking Santander if they were paying enough toward the mortgage. I was devastated. The mortgage is small compared to the house value. The contents I had previously mentioned had not - as Santander initially told me - been sold but had been stacked and left for the new owners. Sentimental as well as valuable things but also personal papers including my birth certificate. Strangers could leaf through, sell, use, anything.

The house did not look abandoned. It was left to return at a better time when I could excuse myself from Mum's care. 18 month's of letters was on the doormat. Including the Santander notices. However as the house was looking as it was, as the debt was as small as it was, as Satander lost on Duty of Care with me before, have I any redress?

I would give anything to have my Dad's toolbox returned. I worry about the implications of my personal papers in the ether. I cannot recall any details of the computer discs. I rue the £2,500 worth of US comics granted as a present to someone. I hate that Santander have done what they have with a corporate attitude rather than an understanding one.

Can I do anything to recover some items or dignity from this terrible situation? It has left me bereft and with Mum entering full time care next month, wondering if I should go on?
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X